Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating squirrel

Eating squirrel

went out last night to a farmer friends house for evening meal he is always experimenting with food.
    He made his own smoker from empty gas bottle and old fridge, generally a good guy
    anyway we went out for a pint then back to his for home grown chicken and squirrel the squirrel had been taking his hazelnuts so met a bit of lead in the head.
    What a tasty morsel although a lot of work for little meat 15mins in the oven under a slice of fatty bacon.
    anyone else tried it

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    went out last night to a farmer friends house for evening meal he is always experimenting with food.
    He made his own smoker from empty gas bottle and old fridge, generally a good guy
    anyway we went out for a pint then back to his for home grown chicken and squirrel the squirrel had been taking his hazelnuts so met a bit of lead in the head.
    What a tasty morsel although a lot of work for little meat 15mins in the oven under a slice of fatty bacon.
    anyone else tried it
    Why would you want to eat tree rat ........ ?
    in the same category as fox and (non bushy tailed) rat as far as i'm concerned - i have enough decent meat to eat without resorting to that .

Tried it once, it was a pain to skin, I then just roasted it wrapped in tin foil. It was tough and not much more meat than a pair of chicken wings. It tasted ok ish - better than hedgehog at least!
    Wingy

Ate it once at a shoot in a bridie what you southern lads would call a pastie I think, weren't told what it was until after we had eaten them, tasted OK actually , would not have eaten it if I had known as somebody already said tree rats.

taste good on a barby

Many times, got to be a decent size, cooked well, (just roasted drys them out) and from somewhere other than the local park! quite like them actually, have some mates in Louisiana who nearly always have a pot full on, they spice them up which is different, but to hot for my delicate palette.

Squirrel Satay ........get your own back !

I trap quite a few under the pheasant feeders later on in the year when the natural food dries up , a game dealer pays 1.25 skinned, he says he sells them in a London market ,he didn't say for how much , but I think they sell for 3.50-4.00 , and he cant get enough to supply the demand.

All the rage in London last year and staring to take of now might think about selling them myself ,there's a girl call the game keepers daughter and she make squirrel pie and always sells out

Had it in casserole a few times when at university. Was fine. Mixed it with rabbit meat and it was not distinguishable.