Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First efforts at reloading.......

First efforts at reloading.......

So, let's dispel some of the myths around this mystical art or alchemy.....
    i haven't spent hundreds on loads of gear, I went for simple, bought a Lee loader, some cheap MTM scales, a set of calipers, and the basic case prep tools from lee. Total spend circa 100 (not including consumables).
    after some initial issues with the loader being overcome, I established a routine and before long, had churned out my first batch of 30 rounds, lots of 5 in half grain intervals from the minimum load.
    I had the chance this evening to go and test them on the range kindly provided by JimDGVM in Chippenham ( a cracking spot and well equipped I might add).
    here are the results of my session not bad for a first attempt if you ask me!
    Attachment 46971Attachment 46972Attachment 46973Attachment 46974Attachment 46975
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    So, let's dispel some of the myths around this mystical art or alchemy.....
    i haven't spent hundreds on loads of gear, I went for simple, bought a Lee loader, some cheap MTM scales, a set of calipers, and the basic case prep tools from lee. Total spend circa 100 (not including consumables).
    after some initial issues with the loader being overcome, I established a routine and before long, had churned out my first batch of 30 rounds, lots of 5 in half grain intervals from the minimum load.
    I had the chance this evening to go and test them on the range kindly provided by JimDGVM in Chippenham ( a cracking spot and well equipped I might add).
    here are the results of my session not bad for a first attempt if you ask me!
    Attachment 46971Attachment 46972Attachment 46973Attachment 46974Attachment 46975

Congrats! Re-loading has so many benefits...

Casting is another area that is great fun, but has a steeper learning curve.

Good Job!
    ...and Yes. It's that simple. I started a local pastor loading for his .222 using a Lee Classic Loader. First groups were all under .5 inches for 5 shots. He woke me up one morning to show me his groups. He has a bench mounted rig for handgun these days but he still loads 270 and .222 on the Lee Classic. Sub MOA.~Muir

Excellent ! There's a certain satisfaction in shooting well with rounds you've loaded yourself .

AB

You have done something very similar to what I did in January this year.

I added a cheap arbor press to the mix (apprx 40)

Mini Arbor Press Ideal for Reloading

I had to shorten the priming rod by about 30mm so that it would fit, and I use an old imperial socket as a spacer so that I don't have to adjust the press head. This makes using a Lee classic silent, and that meant I didn't wake the baby!

Very satisfying, and doesn't have to cost too much.
    Last edited by LeftHandGuy; 17-09-2014 at 06:39.

It seems very satisfying! I couldn't believe group 3, 5 rounds all but touching, I just don't that shoot that well!!
    ive made up a batch of that load now which I will double check again before letting rip on living quarry, but then I look forward to christening them properly! I also want to see how it performs out to 200m as I only tested it at 100m. Wasn't expecting it to be so easy to find a load that worked so well quite so quickly......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I did the same thing couple of years ago with .308 lee loader. Never looked back to factory ammo, very addictive

double check load three and your good to go ! (although in all honesty any of the loads would do!)
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Good Job!
    ...and Yes. It's that simple. I started a local pastor loading for his .222 using a Lee Classic Loader.~Muir
    I've got a picture in my mind. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men..."

I've just set up the same as you guys with steerpike's arbor press. Also bought a Lee priming tool, I'm not messing about with those things!

Working well so far, I just need a local range cleared for 270.

For what it's worth as a relatively newcomer to reloading ( a couple of years) I would say stick with that and not try to "mess around". if you bought factory ammo that performed like that you'd be well chuffed!
    Excellent result.