First efforts at reloading.......

deerstalker.308

So, let's dispel some of the myths around this mystical art or alchemy.....
i haven't spent hundreds on loads of gear, I went for simple, bought a Lee loader, some cheap MTM scales, a set of calipers, and the basic case prep tools from lee. Total spend circa £100 (not including consumables).
after some initial issues with the loader being overcome, I established a routine and before long, had churned out my first batch of 30 rounds, lots of 5 in half grain intervals from the minimum load.
I had the chance this evening to go and test them on the range kindly provided by JimDGVM in Chippenham ( a cracking spot and well equipped I might add).
here are the results of my session not bad for a first attempt if you ask me!
View attachment 46971View attachment 46972View attachment 46973View attachment 46974View attachment 46975

So, let's dispel some of the myths around this mystical art or alchemy.....
i haven't spent hundreds on loads of gear, I went for simple, bought a Lee loader, some cheap MTM scales, a set of calipers, and the basic case prep tools from lee. Total spend circa £100 (not including consumables).
after some initial issues with the loader being overcome, I established a routine and before long, had churned out my first batch of 30 rounds, lots of 5 in half grain intervals from the minimum load.
I had the chance this evening to go and test them on the range kindly provided by JimDGVM in Chippenham ( a cracking spot and well equipped I might add).
here are the results of my session not bad for a first attempt if you ask me!
View attachment 46971View attachment 46972View attachment 46973View attachment 46974View attachment 46975

Congrats! Re-loading has so many benefits...

Casting is another area that is great fun, but has a steeper learning curve.

Good Job!
...and Yes. It's that simple. I started a local pastor loading for his .222 using a Lee Classic Loader. First groups were all under .5 inches for 5 shots. He woke me up one morning to show me his groups. He has a bench mounted rig for handgun these days but he still loads 270 and .222 on the Lee Classic. Sub MOA.~Muir

You have done something very similar to what I did in January this year.

I added a cheap arbor press to the mix (apprx £40)

Mini Arbor Press Ideal for Reloading

I had to shorten the priming rod by about 30mm so that it would fit, and I use an old imperial socket as a spacer so that I don't have to adjust the press head. This makes using a Lee classic silent, and that meant I didn't wake the baby!

Very satisfying, and doesn't have to cost too much.

Last edited:
It seems very satisfying! I couldn't believe group 3, 5 rounds all but touching, I just don't that shoot that well!!
ive made up a batch of that load now which I will double check again before letting rip on living quarry, but then I look forward to christening them properly! I also want to see how it performs out to 200m as I only tested it at 100m. Wasn't expecting it to be so easy to find a load that worked so well quite so quickly......

I did the same thing couple of years ago with .308 lee loader. Never looked back to factory ammo, very addictive ;)

double check load three and your good to go ! (although in all honesty any of the loads would do!)

Good Job!
...and Yes. It's that simple. I started a local pastor loading for his .222 using a Lee Classic Loader.~Muir

I've got a picture in my mind. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men..."

I've just set up the same as you guys with steerpike's arbor press. Also bought a Lee priming tool, I'm not messing about with those things!

Working well so far, I just need a local range cleared for 270.

For what it's worth as a relatively newcomer to reloading ( a couple of years) I would say stick with that and not try to "mess around". if you bought factory ammo that performed like that you'd be well chuffed!
Excellent result.

what ever load for #1 looks a to be keeper feller well done. can only get better.try the coal now leave the powder alone :thumb:

Last edited:
Well done! I just tried out my first loads last Sunday and was also surprised that of the five test loads, three were all equally really good, four were better than any factory ammunition I've ever used, and one was no worse. It's easy, I'm glad I let the reloading proselytisers on this website convert me. Of course it helped that they supplied me with all my gear for free.

SO I am asuming target in photo 6 is 3 grains over minimum load and gave one of the better groupings

So does this mean that's the best combination of power & accuracy?

Because No1 (asuming the lowest load) and No3 also looked good?

What made you chose your go to load from the varaibles you had?

ATB

Chasey

Very interesting to note the group on target #3 and shotgun pattern on #4!

On target #1 is the shot to the left in the 10 ring the first from a cold and clean barrel? Trying to understand why you would not go with group #3?

Based on one swallow doesn’t make a summer I’d shoot that sequence again but in reverse order. Better still give a trusted friend your marked box of reloads and have them hand you 5 rounds of the same charge so you shoot each group with no idea which load is being fired.

K

I've just set up the same as you guys with steerpike's arbor press. Also bought a Lee priming tool, I'm not messing about with those things!

Working well so far, I just need a local range cleared for 270.

I actually got the idea from something paul'o suggested - it does make it a lot easier and quieter. Also, I use a separate powder funnel - you can use the die as one but I didn't like the fact that grains of powder would stick to the inside. I was inspired by glogin's video on reloading with the lee classic loader.

So far since buying a centrefire rifle I have bought one box of 20 factory rounds, and that only against the possibility of doing a course where homeloads are forbidden.

K.
i was working loads up for my 300 wsm which is in the 60 odd grain region of powder.

i had 5 x 5 shot groups around 2 inches, and then went half a grain more and got a clover leafe. Have varified the load and it's a keeper.

i was very surprised that half a grain in a 62 grain load made that much of a difference , given the percentage!!!

after some initial issues with the loader being overcome...

Glad to hear you persevered with it, and with such encouraging results. I was a bit concerned from your post on the other thread :D

It goes to prove what a fundamentally simple and straightforward process reloading really is.

All that the Loader actually does is provide an outside neck sizing bush, and a fixture within
which to exchange the primer and seat the bullet.

The bare minimum that needs to be done to reload a case.

Anyone contemplating trying reloading should be encouraged that it is not an arcane technical process requiring long apprenticeship at the feet of gurus, but accessible and likely to give satisfaction from the start.

Once you have some basic kit, a tub of powder, a box of bullets and sufficient primers you can be pretty much self sufficient for ammunition, which is a comforting situation compared with the alternative. And if your ammo underperforms you can only have yourself to blame, or put it another way you can be far more confident in it than if you have to buy whatever factory stuff your dealer may or may not happen to stock, at the time.

This is far more valuable to me than any potential cost saving (the frequent justification why many get started).

In these days of instant information overload it is all to easy to over-research, over-analyse, and dive in at the deep end, perhaps splash out on masses of unnecessary kit, consciously ignoring the learning process that can best be achieved by starting with the fundamentals.

So often we hear tales of woe on here from those who appear to have done just that.

Actually weighing the powder, as you have done, is a step beyond the original concept. Just for fun, next time you load, try five cartridges just using the powder scoop. Don't second guess by weighing the scooped charges, just have faith, and see how they group. You might just be rather surprised.

The loader was the foundation of the Lee Precision business, for which every reloader should be grateful, whatever their choice of products. I don't think reloading would be so accessible to everyone without Lee.

History - Lee Precision

or....

pat yourself on a job well done and go stalking!

already done, (pat on the back that is, not had a chance to get out this evening unfortunately).

klenchblaize. I've gone with load number 3, I was methodical throughout though, the only possible anomaly was as you said, the number 10 shot in the first target being from a totally cold barrel, thereafter barrel had moderator removed to cool down better between each 5 round group, a set period of time to cool down, and a bore snake though the barrel (don't start please anyone!), so things were kept reasonably scientific.
i was never expecting anything close to this, and I wasn't ever looking for clover leafs, just something repeatable for day to day staking, think I've got that in number 3, so aside from rechecking that load to confirm this test, I will stick to what has worked and not worry about trying to tweak it. After all, I don't stalk off s bench rest with all mod cons for a steady shooting rest, I shoot of sticks with my heart racing looking at the deer I'm about to get in the freezer......!

Glad to hear you persevered with it, and with such encouraging results. I was a bit concerned from your post on the other thread :D

Worked out there was a very fine burr on the rim of the die, not visible, but was marking cases, five mins with wet and dry paper had it smooth as a babies bum and cases were no longer getting stuck.

Back