Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed awareness course

Speed awareness course

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I recently got caught on camera doing 37 in a 30. I took the option of a speed awarness course and at the end the instructor said the slate had been wiped clean, no points, no need to tell the insurance company or employer.
    Due to a couple of mates being questioned at renewal time about minor driving offences that had been picked up on by the FEO but not declared on the renewal form by the aplicant I asked if i would need to declare the course attendance on my renewal when it comes up but the instructor did not know for sure.
    Am I best to declare it or is the slate wiped clean totally as far as the Police are concerened.
    Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Will.

I dont believe its wiped clean i think the only bonus is no points i would fess up and tell them on renewal you attended if it is wiped clean atleast it shows honesty

when i got done 34 in a 30 in lincolnshire fen road , the police officer told me that as i was on the course that the fine of 97 for the day ,and only if i /wanted or needed to do did i have to say i was on it . the event of speeding was no longer be used against me.
    sp fines are not a reason to be refused a cert just tell him if you wish that have done the days ? 4 hr chinwag and film . i must admit i still put down a sp30 in 1984 lol , it do's say all events or other offences so i do ,the insurance Cos can go fish they are not the police. just the sharks !!!

Unless things have changed, you only have to admit on your FAC declaration any serious road traffic offences. Such as drunk driving etc. I think many of us on here have at one time or another had a speeding ticket.
    I wouldn't bother about it, you were not arrested and not cautioned so it is regarded as a minor traffic offence which should not (I am sure) affect or warrant your registering it when renewing your FAC.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

SD Regular
    The whole point of doing the course is to avoid the conviction. You are agreeing to do the course in lieu of conviction. No need to declare. Do you intend to put down you were questioned/arrested over an incident - again, no need. Like Paul O I too declared speeding convictions from 89 and 94 (I think!), but they will have no record of a speeding stop if no conviction.

Regardless, highly unlikely it would affect anything if you did declare, even as a conviction
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    The whole point of doing the course is to avoid the conviction. You are agreeing to do the course in lieu of conviction. No need to declare. Do you intend to put down you were questioned/arrested over an incident - again, no need. Like Paul O I too declared speeding convictions from 89 and 94 (I think!), but they will have no record of a speeding stop if no conviction.

Regardless, highly unlikely it would affect anything if you did declare, even as a conviction
    +1 you've already avoided prosecution by doing the course so really there's nothing to declare to them
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post

Sorry a Fixed Penalty Notice is NOT A CONVICTION!
    Neither are they prosecuting you.
    its a fixed penalty...as the name describes

speed awareness courses are exactly that.
    You are invited to go on them (albeit in lieu of penalty points) and the payment is no longer a fine/penalty but a course fee

absolutely no need to mention that at all

I was proseucted for speeding on the A9 several years ago - long straight in the dark and had been sat behind a pair slow circus lorries doing 45 mph. Clear long straight ahead, put my foot down and overtook them and then pulled to let two fast subarus over take me. I must have been over the speed limit during the overtaking. Five miles later blue lights come up behind, I pull over to let them go and the stopped me claiming I was doing 90 and they had caught in radar trap - head on in the dark at 400 yds so difficult to prove it was my vehicle not the other cars. I was referred to the procurator fiscal and pleaded guilty - I was over the speed limit but with a good letter of mitigation and a long clean licence, I was given 4 points, an SP30 (ie the same prosecution as a fixed penalty) and a 150 fine.

When it came to my renewal the FEO said that that speeding offence had been noted and whilst it did n't affect my renewal, if I went on to get repeated speeding tickets it my have a stain on my "good charachter", and thus suitability to hold firearms.

Simple advice is dont exceed the speed limit in town and on the open road keep within the 10% + 3 mph margin for error.

technically not a Fixed Penalty as the PF has been involved and he decided on it and it is outside the 3 point/60/100 standard penalty as you were 25-30mph over the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    and on the open road keep within the 10% + 3 mph margin for error.
    ACPO guidelines are actually 10% plus 2 mph
    speed awareness issued for anything under 35mph in authorities that offer it (i.e not Scotland!)

Speed Limit Fixed Penalty Court Summons
    20 Mph 25 Mph 35 Mph
    30 Mph 35 Mph 50 Mph
    40 Mph 46 Mph 66 Mph
    50 Mph 57 Mph 76 Mph
    60 Mph 68 Mph 86 Mph
    70 Mph 79 Mph 96 Mph

Many thanks for the replies, my thoughts were to include the facts on my renewal and see what they said after that.

Will.