Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaser r93 barrels

Blaser r93 barrels

Hi Guys,

looking for the blaser experts - i have just bought a r93 black in 243 and im now planning on doing some paid boar shooting as well as some newly aquired woodland red stalking. The FEO isnt keen on giving me another rifle as i already have 243 222 & 204 but they have said having a spare barrel for my blaser wouldnt be an issue so i was thinking 308, 30-06 or 300mag - what do i need for this? is it just a case of buying a barrel and away you go or do i need a new bolt head for all of the mentioned calibres and also any idea how much these components are and where the best place to source them would be?

cheers bb

308 and 30-06 are the same case head as 243 , 300 mag isn't (i'm assuming win mag)
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Hi Tackb,

Yeah it was a 300 win mag.

So does that mean for a 308/30-06 all i would need is the barrel? if i went 300 win mag i would need barrel and bolt head?

Any idea of the costs?

+1
    If you're going for boar and wanna keep the same bolt-face in your R93 go for the 30-06 option
    I wish I had, I was in the same position as you and opted for the .308, but I felt a little under gunned at times on driven boar trips and wished I had gone for the -06
    Have you considered the 9.3x62? I think that is compatible. Might be harder to get approval for but its a heck of a boar round, the continentals love it.
    The Blaser website will give you a list of chamberings compatible with your bolt
    ATB
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    308 and 30-06 are the same case head as 243 , 300 mag isn't (i'm assuming win mag)
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Just been through this process over the last few months. Variations for barrels on FAC never been a problem, I moved from .243 barrelled Blaser rifle to .308, 25-06 and 7mm RM barrels disposing of existing individual rifles in 25-06 and .308 and 7mmRM via a section 7 permit along the way.

The .243 magazine and bolt head work for both .243 and .308 calibres, this is the easiest route for you and Gregor McCloud has a decent range of used and new barrels usually in stock.

30-06 is a standard calibre but may need a new magazine (about 45)

300 WM is a magnum calibre and will need new magazine and a magnum bolt head (up to 220 + magazine cost), the following link may help

http://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/edito...ion_R93_EN.pdf
    TonyC

9.3x62 just sounds like a scary round to me lol what size bullets does that fire? The FEO was dodgy about the 300 mag so i think this one may be out of the question. It wa mainly be for big reds but with a few boar outings per year.

yeah i was edging towards the 30-06 or the 300 win mag but if the 30-06 is just a striaght barrel swap i may go for that option

I"ve got the 243 and the 30-06. The bolt head is the same but the magazine is different. The 9.3 is a great cartridge and will fit the same bolt head but you'll need a different magazine as well. The 9.3x62 is a great round but kicks a fair bit more than the 30-06.

Sadly FEO's tend to react to 9.3x62 in the same way, it's just a big fat bullet fired from a 30-06 sized case, it'll handle bullet weights of 285 grain or more and is a real boar-stopper.
    Unfortunately most FEO's have got it into their heads that it's a "dangerous game" round
    As Tony C says, you will need a different magazine insert for the 30-06 but everything else will stay the same - well, apart from zero.......
    Good luck
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Sadly FEO's tend to react to 9.3x62 in the same way, it's just a big fat bullet fired from a 30-06 sized case, it'll handle bullet weights of 285 grain or more and is a real boar-stopper.
    Unfortunately most FEO's have got it into their heads that it's a "dangerous game" round
    Ain't that a fact!

Some good info on the 9.3x62 in a previous thread:http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-9-3X62-MAUSER

Suggest the OP read up on the contents of Chapter 13 of the HO Guidance if meeting resistance from the FEO, (or more importantly the FLO/FLD who actually make the decisions). Plenty of material in that chapter to support a detailed application for the calibre/cartridge of your choice. Provided you can give 'good reason' and back it up, just make the application and see what happens.

Forgot to add that I'm currently looking to add a 9.3mm. Not sure which at the moment as it will come down largely to rifle availability on the s/h market, but the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R are looking to be the ones to go for.
    Last edited by Orion; 17-09-2014 at 11:07.

I could be wrong but, I believe you get a mag insert with a new barrel anyway well you do for a R8. So if your looking for a calibre with the same bolt head your just in for barrel / mag insert. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong on that.

Im currently running a .308 but with a view of having a .22-250 barrel for foxing etc.

WH