Blaser r93 barrels

Bigboab29

Hi Guys,

looking for the blaser experts - i have just bought a r93 black in 243 and im now planning on doing some paid boar shooting as well as some newly aquired woodland red stalking. The FEO isnt keen on giving me another rifle as i already have 243 222 & 204 but they have said having a spare barrel for my blaser wouldnt be an issue so i was thinking 308, 30-06 or 300mag - what do i need for this? is it just a case of buying a barrel and away you go or do i need a new bolt head for all of the mentioned calibres and also any idea how much these components are and where the best place to source them would be?

cheers bb

Hi Tackb,

Yeah it was a 300 win mag.

So does that mean for a 308/30-06 all i would need is the barrel? if i went 300 win mag i would need barrel and bolt head?

Any idea of the costs?

+1
If you're going for boar and wanna keep the same bolt-face in your R93 go for the 30-06 option
I wish I had, I was in the same position as you and opted for the .308, but I felt a little under gunned at times on driven boar trips and wished I had gone for the -06
Have you considered the 9.3x62? I think that is compatible. Might be harder to get approval for but its a heck of a boar round, the continentals love it.
The Blaser website will give you a list of chamberings compatible with your bolt
ATB
308 and 30-06 are the same case head as 243 , 300 mag isn't (i'm assuming win mag)

Just been through this process over the last few months. Variations for barrels on FAC never been a problem, I moved from .243 barrelled Blaser rifle to .308, 25-06 and 7mm RM barrels disposing of existing individual rifles in 25-06 and .308 and 7mmRM via a section 7 permit along the way.

The .243 magazine and bolt head work for both .243 and .308 calibres, this is the easiest route for you and Gregor McCloud has a decent range of used and new barrels usually in stock.

30-06 is a standard calibre but may need a new magazine (about £45)

300 WM is a magnum calibre and will need new magazine and a magnum bolt head (up to £220 + magazine cost), the following link may help

http://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/editor/caliber-pdf/Blaser_Calibers_Bolt_Action_R93_EN.pdf

9.3x62 just sounds like a scary round to me lol what size bullets does that fire? The FEO was dodgy about the 300 mag so i think this one may be out of the question. It wa mainly be for big reds but with a few boar outings per year.

yeah i was edging towards the 30-06 or the 300 win mag but if the 30-06 is just a striaght barrel swap i may go for that option:)

I"ve got the 243 and the 30-06. The bolt head is the same but the magazine is different. The 9.3 is a great cartridge and will fit the same bolt head but you'll need a different magazine as well. The 9.3x62 is a great round but kicks a fair bit more than the 30-06.

Sadly FEO's tend to react to 9.3x62 in the same way, it's just a big fat bullet fired from a 30-06 sized case, it'll handle bullet weights of 285 grain or more and is a real boar-stopper.
Unfortunately most FEO's have got it into their heads that it's a "dangerous game" round
As Tony C says, you will need a different magazine insert for the 30-06 but everything else will stay the same - well, apart from zero.......
Good luck

Sadly FEO's tend to react to 9.3x62 in the same way, it's just a big fat bullet fired from a 30-06 sized case, it'll handle bullet weights of 285 grain or more and is a real boar-stopper.
Unfortunately most FEO's have got it into their heads that it's a "dangerous game" round

Ain't that a fact!

Some good info on the 9.3x62 in a previous thread:http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/7793-9-3X62-MAUSER

Suggest the OP read up on the contents of Chapter 13 of the HO Guidance if meeting resistance from the FEO, (or more importantly the FLO/FLD who actually make the decisions). Plenty of material in that chapter to support a detailed application for the calibre/cartridge of your choice. Provided you can give 'good reason' and back it up, just make the application and see what happens.

Forgot to add that I'm currently looking to add a 9.3mm. Not sure which at the moment as it will come down largely to rifle availability on the s/h market, but the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R are looking to be the ones to go for.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but, I believe you get a mag insert with a new barrel anyway well you do for a R8. So if your looking for a calibre with the same bolt head your just in for barrel / mag insert. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong on that.

Im currently running a .308 but with a view of having a .22-250 barrel for foxing etc.

WH

Thanks for all the info guys.

Dont want to start a calibre debate but would i notice much difference between the 308 and 30-06?

Also would i notice much differnece between between 30-06 and 300 win mag? (enough to justify new bolt head etc) the majority of the time it will be for reds with occasional boar.

I want something that will shoot reasonable flat at distance for on the hill but also have really good close range stopping power for the boar.

Dont want to start a calibre debate but would i notice much difference between the 308 and 30-06?

Also would i notice much differnece between between 30-06 and 300 win mag? (enough to justify new bolt head etc) the majority of the time it will be for reds with occasional boar.

I want something that will shoot reasonable flat at distance for on the hill but also have really good close range stopping power for the boar.

There is no debate, go with the 30/06. The 308 is fine, but the 06 deals with the 165gr and 180gr bullets much better, you WILL want to shoot heavier bullets on driven boar.

The 300 will obviously get the job done and then some, but I don't think it is necessary for the short ranges boar are generally shot at.

The 30/06 is the simple solution, there should be a magazine insert with the R93 barrel and you don't need to buy a new bolt face....

+1 for the 9.3 x 62

It was designed for European woodland hunting and only with European emigration to Africa did it become renowned as a "Dangerous" game round.

For the Blaser you will need a new barrel/magazine but the bolt face remains the same. Cartridge wise I use a Norma Oryx in 232 or if I'm feeling brave a 285! Both bowl boar over like rabbits!

It is an awesome boar and plains game round although I agree with Claret, a 180 Partition from a .30-06 will drop a big Keiler just as dead and everyman needs a .30-06 on his/her ticket as you can buy ammo everywhere in the World and it can handle everything from 125 -200gr bullets!

On the licencing front I have just succeeded in a 4 month battle to have the conditions removed for using a 9.3mm in the UK for deer and AOLQ.

You have "good reason" to own one if you can show that you shoot boar. There is no definition of "regular" basis and the HO guidelines acknowledge that this may be just the occasional trip abroad. Once you have shown this "good reason" then you can further argue you should have it cleared for use with expanding ammunition on deer and AOLQ within the UK.

I have had some very good advice from this site and if you like locking horns with your FLD/FEO then request a 9.3mm (look up Dangerous Game calibre and .300WM everyday rifle threads)

Another vote from me for the 30-06.
I recently acquired a new barrel in .308 and it came with the magazine insert and was told by the UK importer that is the norm.
As regards the 30-06 it is certainly very adequate for use against driven Boar and is ideal for use in UK against Reds or any of the other UK deer.
For Sika, Reds and Fallow I use 150gn soft point bullets to very good effect and for driven Boar I would normally, and have done so until recently, used 180gn soft points but recently I acquired some 220gn bullets so am using them until I run out.
So to reiterate, 30-06 with 150gn bullets for all UK deer species and is adequate for driven Boar.
Specifically for driven Boar, then the 180 and heavier comes into it's own.
I used a .308 with 150gn bullets for Driven Boar quite satisfactorally for several years but was 'lured' into using the 30-06 after meeting a few other 30-06 users and have fallen in love with it ever since.

I've just got a .45 cal for deer. Applied for 458 win knowing it wouldn't happen even with me handloading and using reduced loads. The head shed at firearms HQ rang me and we had a chat. I mentioned the calibers a really wanted, he said "take your pick".
So my deer rifle will be a 45-120 with 300 to 500 grain bullets and anywhere from 2000 ft-lbs right the way up to 5000! It'll be in the midrange for deer and boar :)

Accompany your application with a well worded, sensible letter explaining why you need what you're applying for I.e. Large, heavy, slow bullets have better penetration and less meat damage, for example.

If you need any help with the application, I have my letter lying around so could help if you needed.
If I were you is apply for .375 h&h, if they say yes you have a fantastic round that will cope with anything. If it's a no, you can suggest 9.3x62 and look like you're compromising. If they still aren't fine with that you can then argue that you've compromised to try and fulfill their wishes. Win win.

Apply for 9.3x62 (via .375) and enjoy!!!

I use both the 30-06 in a R93 and K95 and the 9.3x74R in the BBF97. The 9.3 is a very good round for stopping sambar and boar but to be honest, most of the time the 30-06 with the 180gr Sierra Gamekings or 180gr Nosler Partions do the job. With a correctly placed bullet and right projectile the 30-06 drops most things up to 300kg. Having said that of course when I shoot the 286gr interlocks out of the 9.3 there is no mucking about looking for a blood trail if it legs it.

There is more of a difference between the 30-06 and 300Win Mag than the 30-06 and the 308Win. My preference is to stay with the 30-06 in a blaser R93. If you need to shoot past 250m with the 30-06 with 180gr projectiles get a range finder and a ballistic type reticle and practice.

I use my R93 in .243 and .308. To save too much faffin about, zeroing, you'll need another scope and mount, to live on the new barrel, then it's just two bolts to swap calibers. +1 for Mcleods.
Kev

I have 243, 308, 30-06 and 300WM barrels for my R93. I mainly use the 300WM and the 308. The 243 is for foxing and the 30-06 stays in the cabinet. I don't think the boar will notice any difference between any of the 30 calibres when shot correctly. I stick to the 300 for most applications because it hits harder and flies flatter, but each to their own. The 30-06, as accurate as it is, just doesn't do it for me:oops: The 9.3x62 is a great round also and not difficult to shoot. I have a brake on mine and it shoots very well. Regarding the Blaser system, there is no harm in having another bolt face.

Back