Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just made a leather handled knife

Just made a leather handled knife

Just finished this. Sanded through to 3200 grit, but after it was shaped the marks inside the buffalo horn came through.

I love this old school look, but to prevent the leather getting soaked in blood and turning nasty it has had four coats of superglue to seal it between sanding grits.

Still happy with it. Just getting on with the sheath now.

Thanks for looking.

Richard[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Just finished this. Sanded through to 3200 grit, but after it was shaped the marks inside the buffalo horn came through.

I love this old school look, but to prevent the leather getting soaked in blood and turning nasty it has had four coats of superglue to seal it between sanding grits.

Still happy with it. Just getting on with the sheath now.

Thanks for looking.

Richard
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Dougster

Would be interested to know how the superglue fares. Have you considered using two part rod building epoxy, the type we use on the thread? it goes on fairly thin, and by keeping the rod rotating you end up with a really good level, even and clear finish. You may know of this stuff anyway, but just an idea.

If you somehow set up the knife on a turner, you would probably end up with a pretty good finish (although not sure how it would work not being entirely circular in section). Food for thought, anyway.

Will

Hi Dougster

Would be interested to know how the superglue fares. Have you considered using two part rod building epoxy, the type we use on the thread? it goes on fairly thin, and by keeping the rod rotating you end up with a really good level, even and clear finish. You may know of this stuff anyway, but just an idea.

If you somehow set up the knife on a turner, you would probably end up with a pretty good finish (although not sure how it would work not being entirely circular in section). Food for thought, anyway.

Will[/QUOTE]

I've done this type of thing before and I clamp the leather and topper in place with two part epoxy, but I use the thin Cyano acrylate to soak into and harden the leather, sand it, add more, sand at a finer grit.... all by hand. But I like the results it gives and I know the outer leather is not going to let anything in.

That looks the nuts reminds me of my first estwing hammer nice narrow blade as well id love a knife like that

Hi looks like a very nice knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Hi Dougster

Will

I've done this type of thing before and I clamp the leather and topper in place with two part epoxy, but I use the thin Cyano acrylate to soak into and harden the leather, sand it, add more, sand at a finer grit.... all by hand. But I like the results it gives and I know the outer leather is not going to let anything in.[/QUOTE]

looks amazing however you've done it.

That looks fantastic it look like the handles on my knives when I was little nice job mate bazil

I'll try to have a few stainless ones at Newark. Thanks for the kind words.

I like that old school look, like the knives I coveted as a Boy Scout.
    What material is the pommel?
    Glued on, on threaded and screwed onto the tang?