30-06 Rounds 125g vs 150g

willyroe

Thought i would throw this out there for friendly discussion. I have shot 125g Federal softpoints through my 30-06 hill rifle for the past year and they have been fine. I picked this round under advice from an estate where i go every year, they use it successfully (as have i).

Unfortunately, as others have found, some Federal ammo is difficult to source and i can only get 150g Federal soft points for the 30-06. Going on the Federal website and comparing the stats between the 125g and 150g over the relevant distance (100m to 200m) there seems to be little difference in the rounds.

Any thoughts/experience? The geek in me tells me to find 125g but the realist says go and buy 3 boxes of 150g and be done with it for a few years!

150 grns will be just great. I use them on all deer from Roe to Reds. Pretty flat out to 200 yrds.
Tusker

So little in it trajectory wise and with more energy down range. I'd say go 150 based purely on ballistics since I don't shoot a 30-06.
I've done them tables with a 100 yard zero and a 300 yard max range but can change it if you'd like more comparisons.
Obviously they aren't perfect but they give you a pretty good idea

Thank you gents, think i will just stock up on a few boxes of 150g, check the zero at 100m, 150m and 200m and run with them for a few years.

W.

One advantage of the 125 grain over 150 is the reduction in recoil so it's easier to control. One possible disadvantage is that the lighter bullets fly sooo much faster & can cause severe carcass damage on some beasts. So there are marginal differences between the two options both for & against each & both will do the job -
It's a subject that I hope will be discussed at the Higlands BDS branch meeting in October - It will be interesting at least --- Are you planning to attend Willy?

Ian

Last edited:
Generally sticking to heavier bullets gives a flatter trajectory over a longer distance, better penetration and less carcass damage. Lighter bullets will be flatter out to say 150yds, won't penetrate as well, but will impart more explosive type energy (hydrostatic shock) and thus meat damage.

I shoot mild loads of 125-gr .30-06 for practice, fun, targets and deer.
2,800 fps is great in an M1 for 200 yard targets, very accurate in all my rifles, doesn[t beat me up, and doesn't beat up my old 1903 sporters with their vintage sights and scopes.

But for serious hunting, the 150, 165 or 180-gr is it. Zero at 200 yards. 2 inches high at 100, 7 low at 300.

Back