22 rimfire zero distance?

dan71

Hi i set my scope at 60 yards an at 100 yards i aim at the top of ear and get head shots. What do you guys set your scope at?

i find a slight gap at 35-40 if I zero at 60yds
means I can be slightly over the top at 35-40

same minute of ear holdover at 100 ish

Most of my .22s wear iron sights or low profile scopes.
I have always zeroed them at 25 yards, putting them on again at 75 yards.
I have enough experience to shoot a crow or pigeon at 100 or so, with just a crosshair and 6x.

The same zero with even a lower power Mil Dot or Ballistic Reticle will let you shoot much further.
( Hawke 4x32 MD, Burris 2-7x35 BP, Vortex Diamonback 2-7x32 ballistic)

I have a Leupold "Rimfire Special" on my Brno. It's a 2-7X variable and at 5X, with my 50M zero, my standard 1240 fps ammo will drop onto the point of the bottom duplex reticle at 100 yards. Very handy. Like Southern, I shoot so much .22 that I seldom have a problem between 0 and 100M.~Muir

I use winchester subs any others are like a shotgun pattern. Do people clean the barrel? My dad has an annie and never touches it has a £20 scope and makes mine look silly

When I used to use such a thing I zeroed it dead on for 75 yards the maximum usual distance that I would consider using it at normally. This then worked, for me, as given a rising trajectory out to 100 yards where the point of impact crossed the + on the telescopic sight again.

Best answer really is to experiment with YOUR rifle and YOUR ammunition as even the height of the 'scope rings above the axis of the bore of the barrel makes a significant difference.

I use winchester subs any others are like a shotgun pattern. Do people clean the barrel? My dad has an annie and never touches it has a £20 scope and makes mine look silly

I have never cleaned a .22 rf. barrel.

Never had an acuracy issue.

Steve.

I never cleaned my 22 BSA Martini. Indeed when I did it then had to be shot back in before "serious" target work and I have never cleaned unless I went out in the wet rain any barrel of any .22 sporting rifle. They should not need to be cleaned if the bore is good and the ammunition is of quality.

Best answer really is to experiment with YOUR rifle and YOUR ammunition as even the height of the 'scope rings above the axis of the bore of the barrel makes a significant difference.

correct answer :D

This is how I set any scopes my usual on airgun is to zero the top of the trajectory (27yrds) at 1mil dot up @ x 10 mag ( I use mildot scopes and hold over ) this makes it easy to use on other mags ie 20x is 2 mildot up etc

and have my scope center set at 2" above the bore center to optimise the trajectory where I hunt ie 25-50yrds

old days i would shoot and plot the trajectory every 5yrds and plot on a graph now you can do it easily on free ballistics programs they even plot the reticule extra aim points on some.

you should also find that the mildot above will lay along the trajectory quite well giving little or no hold over for a long way before it drops
easier if you think of the Trajectory as a coat hanger shape and why open sights work so well dead on from close up to the high point then drop off fast and high scopes look down the other side .

get a Ballistics program and the factory data and have a play see what you like

With my annie and eley subs, spot on at 50 yds, drop is 7.4" at 100yds or as near as damit 2 mil dots. Bunnies ears for reference are 3.5" so very usefull if you dint have a range finder.

D

I use the CCI ballistic chart and it seems to work well. CCi Subsonics zero at 75yards. 25yards is +1.2", 50yards is + 1.8" and 100 yards ie -4.3" file:///home/chronos/u-70d4af907116e336772bc1cd5c4b3402d28b8b0c/Downloads/CCI%20Ammunition%20-%20View%20All%20CCI%20Loads.mhtml

I use the CCI ballistic chart and it seems to work well. CCi Subsonics zero at 75yards. 25yards is +1.2", 50yards is + 1.8" and 100 yards ie -4.3" file:///home/chronos/u-70d4af907116e336772bc1cd5c4b3402d28b8b0c/Downloads/CCI%20Ammunition%20-%20View%20All%20CCI%20Loads.mhtml

thats either a very big target or a fairly useless MPBR for me personally

means you rangefinding needs to be bang on to account for holdunder sub 75 and holdover past 75

1.8" high at 50 is a miss for me shooting at a rabbits head
I personally can't be bothered thinking about holdunder on any of my rifles, absolute pain

Back