Canada Geese

G1963

Hi just wondering Canada Geese are now on general license just like pigeon.
So can we shoot them with any type of gun and is it lead free as it is I think classed as wild fowl or is that not applicable being that they are on general license?

Shot gun best. 12g or 10g with big cartridges (3.5 inch) using no 3 or no 1 shot. As far as I'm aware lead free is way to go but think if not over watercourse, i.e. Open fields, might get away with lead but think it is better just to use the same shot for all occasions.
i wouldn't try too hard as they are usually as tough as old boots and taste much the same!

BE

Im not sure about the nead for lead free, although that does not apply to single projectiles, i have shot them with 17HMR and 22-250.
As an invasive species you do not need to excercise other means of non lethal control before resorting to shooting

Ian.

Wildfowl must not be fired at over wetlands with lead shot - period (the operative word being "shot"). It matters not whether they are on General License or not. The law is there to protect all water birds from ingesting lead when feeding.You can't tell birds not to pick up your lead shot so the rule is for what you shoot with - not what you shoot at!
You can shoot (lead free) steel, tin, bismuth or tungsten matrix / heavyshot over wetlands & that is what BASC are trying to put over to all shooters advising us to stay within the law.
If you want to shoot birds over wetlands with a rifle you can use lead free bullets & be extra double double squeaky clean!

Ian

The rules are different in England and Wales, you can't shoot wildfowl with lead shot full stop. In Scotland you can use lead shot as long as it is not over or near water.

Last edited:
The rules are different in England and Wales, you can't shoot wildfowl with lead full stop. In Scotland you can use lead shot as long as it is not over or near water.

You're right - I was forgetting I live & shoot wildfowl in Scotland - not England. Hee Hee. :coat:

2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this
licence permits:
(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed at (a) and (b) below, to take, damage
or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs:
(a) Crow Corvus corone
Dove, Collared Streptopelia decaocto
Gull, Lesser Black-backed Larus fuscus
Jackdaw Corvus monedula
Jay Garrulus glandarius
Magpie Pica pica
Pigeon, Feral Columba livia
Rook Corvus frugilegus
Woodpigeon Columba palumbus
(b) Goose, Canada Branta canadensis
Parakeet, Monk Myiopsitta monachus
Parakeet, Ring-necked Psittacula krameri
(ii) Authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above

See (b) Canada Geese

Jimbo

Last edited:
No they are not on the general licence except for air safety- see here: http://basc.org.uk/blog/press-relea...rement-rejected-for-english-general-licences/

David

The OP is asking about Canada Geese, that link only mentions Egyptian Geese and air safety.

The general licences do allow shooting Canada's providing the conditions are met.
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx#2013

I would like a definitive answer on whether or not you can shoot them with a rifle and lead bullet?

Yes you can shoot Canada's with a rifle and yes you can use a lead bullet, but watch out for that old Chestnut - Conditions of your FAC

David

Yes you can shoot Canada's with a rifle and yes you can use a lead bullet, but watch out for that old Chestnut - Conditions of your FAC

David

Just checked with NGO. I think it would have been better David if you had copied and pasted the paragraph below then there would be no misunderstanding as some that read your post would assume it's ok to shoot them with a shot gun using lead.

Regulation 3 of the Environmental Protection (Restriction on Use of Lead Shot)(England) Regulations 1999 prohibits the use of lead shot for the purpose of shooting geese with a shotgun. It does not apply to rifle ammunition.

Jimbo

Back