Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is acceptable?

What is acceptable?

Hello all,

A simple question, what do you think is an acceptable time period for a FAC renewal to take?

My license expired last week, prior to it expiring I duly sent in all the completed forms on the 22nd of July.

Its now almost two months since I sent in the forms. I called the department to be told my normal firearms officer retired earlier this year and he is not going to be replaced, his region is being picked up by other officers on a case by case basis.

I am not complaining, I have only had positive experiences when dealing with the department, however this seems a very long time to me. I have been informed that policy is; all renewals get a visit and I will not get my certificate back until after a visit, this seems reasonable, but adds time to the process.

foreseeable even if I get a phone call today, the appointment wont be booked until probably the week after next, they then have to post my certificates back (from experience this takes three to four of weeks). It could therefore be another 2 months before I receive my paperwork. this means a straight forward renewal will have taken 4 months.

So what do you chaps think, how long is reasonable?

I don't know what's reasonable but a renewal can take 120 days in Durham!!!!

Avon & Somerset had 7 FEOs - now 3!!! Admittedly uniform officers doing Shotgun Cert renewals but me thinks months will be norm. for FAC.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

What's the score at present, since you no longer have a valid FAC? I suppose that you've stored your firearms at a dealers? That'll mean that their tardiness is not only costing you the opportunity to enjoy your sport, it's also costing you money.

The OP shouldn't have to to store his firearms at an RFD if he has made his application in a timely manner. Without a valid FAC he is however in unlawful possession at the moment unless he has made some interim arrangement.

All the more reason to fire off a request to the FLD in writing or by email requesting immediate processing of the FAC or the issue of a S.7 Permit, and they don't like issuing them as it reflects on the FLDs performance figures, so it might provoke the sudden appearance of the FAC!

All it takes is one over-zealous copper to stop you while out shooting to ruin your day and maybe more.
    Last edited by Orion; 18-09-2014 at 14:30.

I was worried that I still had my firearms with no license. When on the phone to them this afternoon I asked this very question, I was informed by the very polite and helpfully lady that my license had been renewed but would not be issued to me until after a visit. I was told that I had nothing to worry about, as you say I am not sure that would be a satisfactory response if I was pulled over whilst lamping or whilst on the way to/from shooting.

I was also informed that as yet an FEO had not been appointed to my case. Nor could they give me any timescales. All the people I have dealt with in the department have been very switch on and helpful, but the delay is frustrating to say the least.

I've seen it mentioned in a couple of posts but I am ignorant as to what a S.7 permit is, can someone enlighten me please?

Jonathan, did you get that in writing?

Sadly, the "word" of someone from the firearms licencing department will mean very little if you do end up in court on a charge of illegal possession. Having it in writing might not be sufficient even.

Paul, section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968 creates a document called a "police permit" that allows someone to hold firearms without being in possession of a firearms or shotgun certificate.

Firearms Act 1968

Quote Originally Posted by jonathankent View Post
    I was worried that I still had my firearms with no license. When on the phone to them this afternoon I asked this very question, I was informed by the very polite and helpfully lady that my license had been renewed but would not be issued to me until after a visit. I was told that I had nothing to worry about, as you say I am not sure that would be a satisfactory response if I was pulled over whilst lamping or whilst on the way to/from shooting.

I was also informed that as yet an FEO had not been appointed to my case. Nor could they give me any timescales. All the people I have dealt with in the department have been very switch on and helpful, but the delay is frustrating to say the least.
    That's a new twist. It's been renewed but they are not issuing it.
    I think a proper letter of complaint is called for here with a copy sent to your shooting organisation. They should issue the certificate and carry out any inspections that they see fit at a later date.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.