What is acceptable?

jonathankent

Hello all,

A simple question, what do you think is an acceptable time period for a FAC renewal to take?

My license expired last week, prior to it expiring I duly sent in all the completed forms on the 22nd of July.

Its now almost two months since I sent in the forms. I called the department to be told my normal firearms officer retired earlier this year and he is not going to be replaced, his region is being picked up by other officers on a case by case basis.

I am not complaining, I have only had positive experiences when dealing with the department, however this seems a very long time to me. I have been informed that policy is; all renewals get a visit and I will not get my certificate back until after a visit, this seems reasonable, but adds time to the process.

foreseeable even if I get a phone call today, the appointment wont be booked until probably the week after next, they then have to post my certificates back (from experience this takes three to four of weeks). It could therefore be another 2 months before I receive my paperwork. this means a straight forward renewal will have taken 4 months.

So what do you chaps think, how long is reasonable?

What's the score at present, since you no longer have a valid FAC? I suppose that you've stored your firearms at a dealers? That'll mean that their tardiness is not only costing you the opportunity to enjoy your sport, it's also costing you money.

The OP shouldn't have to to store his firearms at an RFD if he has made his application in a timely manner. Without a valid FAC he is however in unlawful possession at the moment unless he has made some interim arrangement.

All the more reason to fire off a request to the FLD in writing or by email requesting immediate processing of the FAC or the issue of a S.7 Permit, and they don't like issuing them as it reflects on the FLDs performance figures, so it might provoke the sudden appearance of the FAC! ;)

All it takes is one over-zealous copper to stop you while out shooting to ruin your day and maybe more.

Last edited:
I was worried that I still had my firearms with no license. When on the phone to them this afternoon I asked this very question, I was informed by the very polite and helpfully lady that my license had been renewed but would not be issued to me until after a visit. I was told that I had nothing to worry about, as you say I am not sure that would be a satisfactory response if I was pulled over whilst lamping or whilst on the way to/from shooting.

I was also informed that as yet an FEO had not been appointed to my case. Nor could they give me any timescales. All the people I have dealt with in the department have been very switch on and helpful, but the delay is frustrating to say the least.

I've seen it mentioned in a couple of posts but I am ignorant as to what a S.7 permit is, can someone enlighten me please?

Jonathan, did you get that in writing?

Sadly, the "word" of someone from the firearms licencing department will mean very little if you do end up in court on a charge of illegal possession. Having it in writing might not be sufficient even.

Paul, section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968 creates a document called a "police permit" that allows someone to hold firearms without being in possession of a firearms or shotgun certificate.

Firearms Act 1968

I was worried that I still had my firearms with no license. When on the phone to them this afternoon I asked this very question, I was informed by the very polite and helpfully lady that my license had been renewed but would not be issued to me until after a visit. I was told that I had nothing to worry about, as you say I am not sure that would be a satisfactory response if I was pulled over whilst lamping or whilst on the way to/from shooting.

I was also informed that as yet an FEO had not been appointed to my case. Nor could they give me any timescales. All the people I have dealt with in the department have been very switch on and helpful, but the delay is frustrating to say the least.

That's a new twist. It's been renewed but they are not issuing it. :-|
I think a proper letter of complaint is called for here with a copy sent to your shooting organisation. They should issue the certificate and carry out any inspections that they see fit at a later date.

They should issue the certificate and carry out any inspections that they see fit at a later date.

Even the much maligned West Mercia can mange that, and is what happened at my last renewal. Certificates arrived with a compliments slip stating I would be inspected at a future date. Easy-peasy....

Forget shooting organisations, write direct to your MP. State all the facts, Illegal possesion, etc.
You can write to them online. You pay for the bugger, you may as well us him.

I did and it brought a swift response.

The London Metropolitan Police suggest submitting forms for a renewal 8 weeks in advance, my variation came back quicker than that though.
They also suggest you leave your firearms with an RFD if they let you down, but as Paul & Matt suggest ask/demand a temporary cert as it's your right to do so and they hate granting them cos it reflects badly on them.
If they fail to provide one, I'd suggest you follow Teyhan's advice

Read the guidance to police note and you will see that they are doing it all wrong.

10.55 The

onus for applying to renew a firearm certificate rests with the holder. All forces, however,

should issue reminders to their certificate holders well in advance to allow the renewal

process to be completed before the original certificate expires. The amount of time depends

on how long it takes for a force to process renewal applications and should be tailored

accordingly. This should be done either by post or in person. It will be helpful to arrange to

combine any such personal visit (where deemed necessary under a risk-based approach)

with the inspection of the firearms and interview. If no reply to the reminder is received,

enquiries should be made to confirm that the holder no longer has possession of the

firearms or ammunition to which the certificate relates, or if the certificate has not yet expired,

that arrangements have been made to dispose of the firearms and ammunition before expiry.

10.56 If

a certificate expires before a renewed certificate has been issued and the certificate

holder has behaved in a reasonable manner returning the forms in good time, a temporary

permit (Section 7 Permit) should be issued by default. With regard to renewal, the applicant

may submit a photocopy of their certificate and retain the expiring certificate in order to be

able to buy ammunition.

Last edited:
Geeez! So long for your renewal. ........I'm surprised the house visit wasn't organised sooner.
On this basis I feel so happy having Police Scotland issue my license. During the commonwealth games in Glasgow I handed in my ticket for renewal. I did foresee problems in them having it done by now, but the reality was, from the date of submitting to the day I uplifted it was just shy of 3 weeks including the house visit.

Update.....

I heard today from the FEO who is temporarily covering my area. He has booked the inspection for the middle of October. Almost exactly three months after I submitted the renewal paperwork.

I will still then have to wait for my certificates to be posted on afterwards. I am expecting the process to take in excess of four months from sending my certificates and paperwork in.

We are now in the season and I can't buy and shotgun cartridges.

frustrating!

Mine in 2010 took 11 months from west mercia for a renewal , Gave basc a ring in the end and it arrived not long after . Though i did put a variation in with them last christmas time for a 308 . 7 days and it was back .

I will reiterate what I said before. GET A TEMPORARY PERMIT (or at least ask for one) as if your old certs have expired and you don't have new ones IN YOUR HAND then you are in illegal possession of firearms without a licence, which is a serious offence. I can assure you that "the person I spoke to on the phone said it would be fine" will not stand as a defence in court!

A temporary permit only allows you to possess firearms whilst your certificate is being renewed, but doesn't allow you to actually use them for their intended purpose.

Even if you can't use them a section 7 means you aren't committing a offence. Do you really fancy five years and never being able to shoot again?

David.

Back