Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad bike winch.

Quad bike winch.

I' ve got the bike now (thanks to help from this forum) and I'm now looking for a trailer. Since the ground we stalk on is more like a marsh than anything else I'm going to need a winch. The bike is a Yamaha Grizzly. Any help and suggestions as usual guys.
    I live in Perth. Help and advice much appreciated.

I'm in the same situation - boggy tussock ground to get across & I'm sure I'll need a winch for my newly aquired Honda Foreman 450. Again any advice welcomed.

Ian

There are a number of options open to you, you may not need a fixed one, in which case a "winch in a bag" or similar may fit the bill, I'm sure google can help. This can be useful in situations where you may need to winch backwards or forwards.

Im sure Csl posted a thread on him fitting one on to his quad, send him a pm if he doesnt see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    I'm in the same situation - boggy tussock ground to get across & I'm sure I'll need a winch for my newly aquired Honda Foreman 450. Again any advice welcomed.

Ian
    Congrats on the Foreman. If its the old 450 air cooled they are fabulous grunty engines and go on for ever. My farmer neighbour has had the same one for over 8 years and its had some serious abuse,- he's turned it over quite a few times. More miles than the starship Enterprise. If I were looking for a bike to keep, I'd be looking for a good second hand one of these.

I've fitted the same Warne winch to my old Honda 350 4x4, and to my Suzuki 420. Warne do a fitting kit for most quad makes. Pretty easy but Warne kit is not cheap. Don't know anything about Superwinch other than they are much cheaper. I think you get what you pay for. Warne quality is excellent.

hi just after tonight fitting a winch to my grizzly 76 off fleabay i fitted a 3 ton (overkill) dont fit the winch to the bottom winch bracket to close to ground take brush bar off and get two bars welded across the top may sound alot of hassle but worth it,will post pics tomorrow night

2 p worth
    have a look at this one we had them on the bikes and 4 wheel's jcb's great pulling power for a small unit easy to fit and wire. easy to add ropes to pull deer out or up.they also do ove 3500lb ones at not a lot more.
    New 12V Volt Electric Winch 2000 lb With Remote Control Quad Boat ATV Trailer ebay.

only up the road from me but as post is free !!

Hi Folks,
    I looked at a few different electric winches for my quad and in the end I decided on a portable petrol capstan winch which can be used on the bike with a mounting bracket, or taken off and used with the wire strop for anything else you might need to pull. It is powered by a 35cc honda 4 stroke and runs like a swiss watch.
    There is a company in Bude in Cornwall selling them at the moment on Ebay no 380726361293. I imported mine from the states.

Cheers

A.M.

Quote Originally Posted by tattie View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I looked at a few different electric winches for my quad and in the end I decided on a portable petrol capstan winch which can be used on the bike with a mounting bracket, or taken off and used with the wire strop for anything else you might need to pull. It is powered by a 35cc honda 4 stroke and runs like a swiss watch.
    There is a company in Bude in Cornwall selling them at the moment on Ebay no 380726361293. I imported mine from the states.

Cheers

A.M.
    Good units. We used to use them for cliff rescue in the Coastguard. You might have to anchor your Quad itself to something sturdy or you'll find it moving if what you're tugging is heavy!
    Last edited by blaven; 18-09-2014 at 20:23.