Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Threading

Home Threading

This is a pic of a 300 Win. Mag, which came to me for re- threading.

1, The information I got was that the original T8 can had attached itself in a permanent fashion by rusting itself on. The owner took it upon himself to remove it by clamping the can in the vice and using a wrench on the barrel and some heat on the can eventually removed it, damage so far, two ugly wrench marks on the barrel. "he should have stopped there"

2, He then decides probably correctly that the thread is too badly corroded and shoe shines it down to a finish which is too small in diameter to take a new 1/2x20 can. He decides 14x1 will do so he take the diameter of the barrel down to a fairly near working diameter using an angle grinder and files, gets a hold of a 14x1 die nut and "Threads" the barrel. "he should have stopped there," he has also got a variation for his new can.

3, He purchases his new can and believe it or not gets a reasonable fit on the threads. "he should have stopped there"

4, He takes rifle and ammunition to the target, fires 3 rounds and actually gets a group not too far off the mark, makes his correction, the first round is centre and a little bit high, "HE REALLY SHOULD NEVER HAVE STARTED THIS", The next shot sends the can some 60-80 yards into the loch behind the target, how do you explain this to your FEO when you ask for another variation for a replacement can.

This was what I was told by the guy in the shop who asked me to re-thread for the new can, I test fired the rifle and it shot extremely well.
    I will leave this up to you to give your opinions on this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000897.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	47029

Quote Originally Posted by BRORA260 View Post
    This is a pic of a 300 Win. Mag, which came to me for re- threading.

1, The information I got was that the original T8 can had attached itself in a permanent fashion by rusting itself on. The owner took it upon himself to remove it by clamping the can in the vice and using a wrench on the barrel and some heat on the can eventually removed it, damage so far, two ugly wrench marks on the barrel. "he should have stopped there"

2, He then decides probably correctly that the thread is too badly corroded and shoe shines it down to a finish which is too small in diameter to take a new 1/2x20 can. He decides 14x1 will do so he take the diameter of the barrel down to a fairly near working diameter using an angle grinder and files, gets a hold of a 14x1 die nut and "Threads" the barrel. "he should have stopped there," he has also got a variation for his new can.

3, He purchases his new can and believe it or not gets a reasonable fit on the threads. "he should have stopped there"

4, He takes rifle and ammunition to the target, fires 3 rounds and actually gets a group not too far off the mark, makes his correction, the first round is centre and a little bit high, "HE REALLY SHOULD NEVER HAVE STARTED THIS", The next shot sends the can some 60-80 yards into the loch behind the target, how do you explain this to your FEO when you ask for another variation for a replacement can.

This was what I was told by the guy in the shop who asked me to re-thread for the new can, I test fired the rifle and it shot extremely well.
    I will leave this up to you to give your opinions on this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000897.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	47029
    He should have used a Snap-On/Blue-Point tube cutter to start from scratch, thus imparting a wee bit of much welcome chocking at no extra cost.

Next stage might well be a Dremel and steady hand!

K

The guy is insane.... plus one on the dremel

All he needs to do is buy one of those moderator adapters from eBay could sweat it on or use some double sided sticky tape should be fine in the cabinet.

Best threading I've ever seen Made me late watch a little happier

I think I would have liked to have seen that mod p*ss off across the loch, would have made me smile.

Bubba is alive and well and living in the UK . We have our share over here as well , the amazing thing is they usually get away without a scratch .

AB

We have a collection of off cuts in the workshop very similar to this.... and WORSE !!!!! IY never ceases to amaze us . cabinet labelled the chamber of horrors gets ever more full with #+x@ed up barrels , moderators , incorrectly loaded rounds , ruined loading dies etc. We keep them to show clients what not to do , as sometimes a physical example is worth a thousand words. Yours respectfully Mike Norris , Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Looks like it would act as a bayonet.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!