Thread: Never seen one of these before....

Never seen one of these before....

Am not really an entomologist, so I have no idea what this is.... Just saw my young dog pointing it in the garden, so went to investigate...

It was moving around - almost defensively, resonding to noise, and vibration.... It was about 3" long, and about 0.5" thick. Very nice colouring, but it did have some nightmare gnashers in the front of its head....

I would be interested to hear what it is, as I cannot find anything on the internet, but not sure what I am looking at... Thinking Moth of some sort...

Many thanks.

Neil.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What is this....jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	47036

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Am not really an entomologist, so I have no idea what this is.... Just saw my young dog pointing it in the garden, so went to investigate...

It was moving around - almost defensively, resonding to noise, and vibration.... It was about 3" long, and about 0.5" thick. Very nice colouring, but it did have some nightmare gnashers in the front of its head....

I would be interested to hear what it is, as I cannot find anything on the internet, but not sure what I am looking at... Thinking Moth of some sort...

Many thanks.

Neil.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What is this....jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	47036
    Large Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar 100%

All Hawk moth caterpillars have a spike on the end of the body, and this particular species has a large false eye at the front end of the body. If it was found wandering around inn the open and out of cover it may well have been stung by an ichneumon fly which lays an egg under the skin and the caterpillar when pupating is devoured inside and a fly emerges instead of the moth.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

reminds me of tremors, perhaps a baby

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Large Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar 100%

All Hawk moth caterpillars have a spike on the end of the body, and this particular species has a large false eye at the front end of the body. If it was found wandering around inn the open and out of cover it may well have been stung by an ichneumon fly which lays an egg under the skin and the caterpillar when pupating is devoured inside and a fly emerges instead of the moth.
    Brilliant, thanks Malc.... much appreciated.

It was out in the open, and after I moved it to take the picture, I put it in to the nearest tree, so the fly info I cannot verify....

All the best.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Squish it NOW before it grows up!

Attachment 47041
    LOL - does AOLQ cover it !!!