Thread: Blaser 30-06 or 300wm

Blaser 30-06 or 300wm

Hi guys,

the lovely feo at Pitt Street has given me permission for a new barrel for my Blaser. After my last thread i know the 30-06 i can just swap the barrel and mag housing but with the 300wm i need a new bolt head as well.

So before i decide on what one to go for (variation form all filled in except the crucial calibre bit) does anyone have a 30-06 barrel or a 300wm barrel and bolt head for sale?

Cheers BB

SD Regular
    Swillington (I think) has a 300WM barrel for sale - barrels is a separate area on Guntrader.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Yeah a just seen it Eric - is that 1295 just for the barrel alone?

Rob

Might be worth enquiring at MacLeods of Tain, they have a large selection of Blaser bits n pieces.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Yeah a just seen it Eric - is that 1295 just for the barrel alone?
    Yup. If you look though, I think they have a sporter 300WM barrel for 995. Bear in mind that as well as head, you'll need a different mag....(I think)
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tam the Gun View Post
    Rob

Might be worth enquiring at MacLeods of Tain, they have a large selection of Blaser bits n pieces.
    +1 for macleods of tain, if you look at their site, there is a firearms list which has all of the blaser barrels listed, some new some second hand. great folks to deal with and are blaser agents if im not mistaken.

I bought my Z5 scope from them and havnt a bad word to say.

because I am a nosey sod I had a look up and the 30-06 seems to be more popular
    NEW R8 barrel - 842
    NEW R93 barrel - 695

go for the 300 win mag and the only barrel they have is for R93 and is 1121

you can get the 30-06 fluted barrels too but they are

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/RIFLE%20PRICE%20LIST.pdf

For what it is worth, I have .300WM/.308/.22-250 barrels on my ticket but am yet to fill them. My first and currently only barrel is a 6.5x55 which is permissioned for everything I need it to be in the UK. I will fill the .300WM and probably the others (once I get a regular income again!) and I chose the .300WM over the .30-06 because the other barrels heavily overlap in capability save for the .22-250. The .300WM is more powerful and flatter for longer distances. Apparently, the most popular Winchester "magnum" in the US but ammo is more expensive. Ammo for both calibres are probably more expensive in the UK (as .30-06 was not a military cartridge here) than say .308. Guess it really depends on for what you want it?

In terms of logistics for the .300WM, from what I understand, you will need a MA sized bolt head and a different magazine insert but not a completely different magazine-trigger unit (unless you want to). Both are easy to interchange but you always have to double check that you have everything matching before firing. If I remember correctly they come with the barrel - but could be wrong. I have had my eye out for a .300WM for a while and have not seen an R8 version - new or used - for some time.

Before you jump in on a fluted or match barrel what stock do you have? If it is a regular Professional stock, then you will need to send it away to have the channel enlarged to fit the wider diameter fluted/match/match fluted barrel. Cost extra and takes time. The regular barrel profile will then float a lot more in the stock.

I would contact Robert at Blaser Sporting UK and find out who has what stock where....it may still need to be a special order...

Hope this helps.