Thread: Knife

Knife

Hi chaps not sure of the correct name but I am looking for the knife used for making the initial "unzipping" cut for the gralloch, the knife has a blunting button instead of a sharp tip to prevent puncturing the gut etc.

Does anyone have a spare they could pass on at a reasonable price? Please PM if you have.

Also what are the opinions on the "butt out" tool I have seen in the equipment mags.... good thing to have??

Any help or advice appreciated.

thanks WB

The knife your refer to is obtainable very cheaply from a lot of outlets, I use moonrakerknives, but there is a member doing these in the classifieds, too.

This for Roe, http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/IMA...ra041208gL.jpg & this as you mention,Google Image Result for http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/stalker16/1591_zpse3f17c33.jpg
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

honestly , in my opinion you need one good knife in the field to perform a gralloch , it doesn't need tip protection if you lay your finger up the back of the blade for the unzip and if you choose well it will take the anus out but personally I prefer to do that back at the larder ? I minimise the amount of possible contamination by doing most of the prep back in the larder ? but that's just me.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    Hi chaps not sure of the correct name but I am looking for the knife used for making the initial "unzipping" cut for the gralloch, the knife has a blunting button instead of a sharp tip to prevent puncturing the gut etc.

Does anyone have a spare they could pass on at a reasonable price? Please PM if you have.

Also what are the opinions on the "butt out" tool I have seen in the equipment mags.... good thing to have??

thanks WB
    Hi Willowbank

i have some bits in my cubby hole I can sort out for you, will be around Ashford way Friday if you're about, will put in my truck, we could meet up up at KWG or the blue and white if you're around

ps need some dates from you for the winter stalking

cheers

phil
    Last edited by philip; 23-09-2014 at 22:04.

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post

thanks WB
    A mate got me one of these from the slaughter house.....
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...m8U15F4YgK773A

It is superb.....they are very thin and hold a good edge...
    These type of knives are used day in day out, so for a recreational stalker it should last a life time....
    You can do it all with one knife, but the round tip is a great help....

Tim.243

Hi Willowbank
    The best knife to use is one with a gut hook I got one for a tenner on E-bay. I use a F-Dick knife for butchering they are really good. The butt out is useless don't waste your money just learn to do it with an ordinary knife.
    i bought a Beretta knife on here with a blade,saw & gut hook as well that is great in the field.
    Cheers Steve.
    Last edited by white van man; 30-09-2014 at 21:19.

Just find a knife which fits your hand and has a blade that is a suitable size and shape for the job. Not so long ago when I started I thought some of these things would be the answer to making the job easy. I doubt they would have proven to be so, and now after shooting a fair few deer I know I just couldn't be bothered with carrying 2 or 3 knives, getting one out to start the cut, another to zip up the belly, another to cut the legs and so on. Just 1 knife should do the job fine. By all means give one a go and you may find it works for you, but I think you'll find with practise you'll just put your finger on the end of the knife and unzip it in no time at all.