Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The quality of prepared heads !

The quality of prepared heads !

On delivery of some fallow to my friend I noticed a sizeable red head in his garage .a nice head untill I took a look at the "bleached skull" and the cut .it was shot on a reputable Scottish est and prepared by the stalker . My pal was charged to try and improve the mess it was in which will be very difficult unless he is a magician .the cut was wonky through the eye sockets and missing its nose and white up the coronets from bleach and the guy who shot it was charged a not too small a fee for this bodge job .
    i guess the only option will be to just cut it right back and mount on a smallish shield .i will try and get a picy when my pal gets back from the stags next week .
    Surely a pro stalker would have been shown the ropes of how to prep and boil a head out before charging for the service I'd defo have been asking for a refund had that been presented to me .
    Any other nightmares out there ?
    Norma

I'm afraid a significant proportion of trophies are poorly prepared, you only have to look in some of the magazines. I would like to see the standard of preparation taken into account when scoring, maybe on a simple 1-5 scale.

Fair enough if its a novice stalkers early attempt but, as you say, you should expect better from a professional. Personally, i've never found it that difficult and used to take a pride in doing a nice job for the guest.

All they have to do is invest in a jig. They are not cheap but they will allow you to cut the skull to the right angle. I wouldn't say that estate stalkers in Scotland are that experienced in cutting skulls the right way. That's not to say they all make a bad job, but some look like they have used a chain saw that I have seen over the years.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

OK the bleached coronets can be fixed without to much difficulty, you say the cut is wonky and missing the nose not much you can do about the nose, but you say through the eyes and nose missing is it badly cut or has it been cut
    traditional short nose, in the Highlands heads were cut traditionally short nose, until the demand for long nose cuts by European clients.

I always asked how the client wanted his trophy cut, many Americans still go for the short nose cut.

You can't put back whats been cut off, but if its been cut squint you can true them up with a belt sander if you have one, or in my case a 4 inch angle grinder with a grinding disc.

when i used to take clients out i always supplied the trophy full skull and let them cut them selves , with full skull the stalker can not go wrong !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    On delivery of some fallow to my friend I noticed a sizeable red head in his garage .a nice head untill I took a look at the "bleached skull" and the cut .it was shot on a reputable Scottish est and prepared by the stalker . My pal was charged to try and improve the mess it was in which will be very difficult unless he is a magician .the cut was wonky through the eye sockets and missing its nose and white up the coronets from bleach and the guy who shot it was charged a not too small a fee for this bodge job .
    i guess the only option will be to just cut it right back and mount on a smallish shield .i will try and get a picy when my pal gets back from the stags next week .
    Surely a pro stalker would have been shown the ropes of how to prep and boil a head out before charging for the service I'd defo have been asking for a refund had that been presented to me .
    Any other nightmares out there ?
    Norma
    What you describe Norma is typical of a lazy preparation.
    The skull was probably cut with the skin still on it, hence the wonky cut. People prep this way normally because their boiling facilities will not accommodate a full skull.
    Next rather than bleaching the coronets, you will probably find that the colour has been boiled off them by immersion in boiling water.
    Lazy, sloppy and unprofessional.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    All they have to do is invest in a jig. They are not cheap but they will allow you to cut the skull to the right angle. I wouldn't say that estate stalkers in Scotland are that experienced in cutting skulls the right way. That's not to say they all make a bad job, but some look like they have used a chain saw that I have seen over the years.
    I saw one of those jigs in a Kettners catolog many years ago, it had metal balls that rested in the eyesockets and it came with a saw that fit inbetween some flat metal guides. Is that what you mean? I thought it was the neatest thing i had ever seen for trophy prep. Hats off to the german hunter who came up with that idea.

I always cut my own freehand with a wood saw that way only me to blame if i mess up !

If using a belt sander please use a face mask , cover your nose & mouth
    I can't remember the exact why , hopefully so done knows & can comment but I believe it's not good to be breathing in bone dust / particles

Can you cut the heads after they have been boiled & bleached ???? I was told no as they more brittle ???

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Can you cut the heads after they have been boiled & bleached ???? I was told no as they more brittle ???

Paul
    I've never done it but I was told you can cut them after boiling with a dremel disc cutter (yes a saw probably might not do them much good as they get more brittle).