Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Jerky...

Making Jerky...

Hiya, just been informed i'm getting a dehydrater from my girls for Christmas, and would love some help with recipes etc, mainly for venison, but will be doing some beef too....and, where to buy the various marinades ?...I already have a cupboard stuffed with just about every spice known to man, but have no clue about making jerky...

Any help, greatfully received..

thanks guys.

Nothing special needed.

Meat with no fat - fat will go rancid.
    Generally if you want to keep the jerky for extended time you must not have any fat, on the other hand if it is a good jerky
    invariably there will be little left after a few hours....

Marinade
    Dark Soy sauce 1 cup
    Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce 1 cup
    Sweet chilli sauce 1cup
    Brown sugar - pre dissolved 1/2 - 1 cup

Garlic powder to taste (opt)
    Smoked Paprikka to taste (opt)
    Liquid smoke 1 teaspoon (opt)

Slice meat with the grain approx 1/4" (6mm) thick dump in marinade in fridge for 12 hours - personally I'll marinade for up to 48 hours.
    Chuck in dehydrator following manufacturers instructions and dry until you are satisfied with result.
    Just done a full dehydrator load of Roe buck....mmmmmmm yummy!

Loads of info out there on t'interweb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer90 View Post
    Nothing special needed.

Meat with no fat - fat will go rancid.
    Generally if you want to keep the jerky for extended time you must not have any fat, on the other hand if it is a good jerky
    invariably there will be little left after a few hours....

Marinade
    Dark Soy sauce 1 cup
    Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce 1 cup
    Sweet chilli sauce 1cup
    Brown sugar - pre dissolved 1/2 - 1 cup

Garlic powder to taste (opt)
    Smoked Paprikka to taste (opt)
    Liquid smoke 1 teaspoon (opt)

Slice meat with the grain approx 1/4" (6mm) thick dump in marinade in fridge for 12 hours - personally I'll marinade for up to 48 hours.
    Chuck in dehydrator following manufacturers instructions and dry until you are satisfied with result.
    Just done a full dehydrator load of Roe buck....mmmmmmm yummy!

Loads of info out there on t'interweb.
    Thanks Sauer90., Will get to work ordering the stuff... I know there are loads of sites with info, but wanted to know what spices etc folk used, and the ones to avoid...

Will let you know how it goes...hoping to visit Cabelas in LA next week, so,will have a look through the catalogue on the plane...

Use whatever spices that you personally like with meat. While in the states picking up some of the brisket rubs are worth a go.
    They are less messy to use, just apply to the strips then leave alone for a few hours before drying.

use the good cut of meat - the crap stuff dries with a paper like substance - not nice!

If you like chewy jerky, cut the meat with the grain, for a more tender result, cut across the grain.

It's also easier to slice the meat in thin strips if you partially freeze.

1 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    2 tbs worcestershire sauce
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tbs ground pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp chilli powder

The salt in the mixture makes it a brine which makes the meat draw the flavourings in rather than just coat the outside.

Ive been thinking for a while about making jerky and finally today pulled my finger our to make a small batch. used a wet marinate opposed to a dry rub. I merged two recipes i found on the net, but ended up with sauer 90's recipe pretty much!! Ive used the tail ends of some fallow loin, which i took out of the freezer and cut up while still partially frozen, the technique seems to work well (thank you WWW).

I used rock salt, sugar, pepper corns, garlic powder, coriander seed, carraway seed, cumin seed, cayenne and chilli flakes, these apparently form a basis for a harissa rub, which sounded nice. i then added soy sauce, worcester sauce and honey. stuck the dry ingredients through the pestle and mortar and mixed with the wet ingredients. the mix was salty, as expected with soy and a bit of rock salt and a with a bit of heat. I felt the marinade was lacking depth of flavour, but opted not to start going off piste in my default style. Ive now vac packed the marinade and the venison strips in a bag and will leave for 24 hours. Due to lack of a dehydrator i will be using a low oven with the door open. the WWW suggests 3-4 hours at about 150 degrees C.. any input from the SD with this bit?

flying fisherman, I've done jerky in the oven and I think 150 deg C is very high. I made mine at at about 50 - 70 deg C but dried it for maybe 6 - 7 hours

Thanks for that, your reply with the recipe must have been posted while i was writing mine. interesting to see that the recipes are similar. How long do you marinade for? Will definitely try a lower temperature for longer..

I have a biltong box , but I do have a cheats jerky gun .... Just like a big silicone sealer gun
    You mince yer meat , add whatever then pack the gun & squeeze out onto wire rack ( make a stodgy mix)
    I do in oven at bout 100c with door cracked open for an hour then turn over & do same for hour & 10 minutes
    Then remove & allow to cool to ambient temp... Then store in Tupperware sealed box in fridge .

Don't know if because it's mince strips wether or not times & temps be close for your set up... Maybe start lower quicker end of scale & if too moist can stick back in ?

Paul