Thread: Moderator problem

Moderator problem

HW 60 J in .22 WMR. Half inch thread on mod same as sako quad it came off

starting off shooting 18 inches low and all over the place despite bore and using collimatpr to get it on the paper. Three types of ammo. Rem. CCI. Hornaday all the same

put a chim on the scope ring without mod it shot hole on hole at 60 yds. Put the whisper wildcat back on - just managed to get it on the paper 2x3 ft square, took the mod off again tried two different ammo types hole on hole then put another wildcat whisper on it from the LR still the same

shot hole on hole again without the mod, on the first mod it looked like the mod had chips on the exit point on the mod and heard the ricochet which on reflection came from possibly the mod ?

Last attempt stuck a cheapo zac mod on and the rifle shot shot hole on hole without fault

guessing it is the mod difference from over the barrel mod to end on mod, and exit aperture or movement.

anyone had any problems, or know how to resolve the problem. ?????????

atb

phil

Please correct me here if I'm wrong but it sounds like the first two mods arnt butting up square to the releaf cut on your barrel. i would get both mods and threading checked or just go with the sak mod. If it was me I would definitely get it looked at as life to short for avoidable accidents.

Atb Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian0100 View Post
    Please correct me here if I'm wrong but it sounds like the first two mods arnt butting up square to the releaf cut on your barrel. i would get both mods and threading checked or just go with the sak mod. If it was me I would definitely get it looked at as life to short for avoidable accidents.

Atb Adrian
    Hi Adrian

Thats exactly my thoughts, it has to be something to do with that, will be sorting it out tomorrow with a trip to a good gunsmith to get a mod that will fit exact on the thread

it may be the over barrel mod because it has no support like there is on a larger cal like the t8 with the barrel support plastic ring fitted to the barrel size, is dropping on the thread

rifle with the mod off or with the sac mod on is nail tacking

will get to the bottom of it in the morning and get a permanent solution with a new moderator that is suitable

ATB

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Adrian

Thats exactly my thoughts, it has to be something to do with that, will be sorting it out tomorrow with a trip to a good gunsmith to get a mod that will fit exact on the thread

it may be the over barrel mod because it has no support like there is on a larger cal like the t8 with the barrel support plastic ring fitted to the barrel size, is dropping on the thread

rifle with the mod off or with the sac mod on is nail tacking

will get to the bottom of it in the morning and get a permanent solution with a new moderator that is suitable

ATB

Phil
    I have a Sak and a Parker Hale mod and never had a bit of bother with either. I favour the Sak as it suits the rifle better looks wise, apart from that no difference at all.

At least you have found were the problem is

ive got weihrauchs id be surprised if there thread was out i would have a guess to say its bang on

more than likely its the wildcat mod that wants throwing in the bin

please de let us know the outcome as im genuinely interested as ive got 2 x hw60 .222 & .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    At least you have found were the problem is

ive got weihrauchs id be surprised if there thread was out i would have a guess to say its bang on

more than likely its the wildcat mod that wants throwing in the bin

please de let us know the outcome as im genuinely interested as ive got 2 x hw60 .222 & .22LR
    hi markfox

just got in from rabbiting and foxing, head shot rabbits at 90 yds with hw60j WMR
    The sac mod has worked faultlessly, rifle is shooting sub half inch at a 100

i didn't believe the rifle was at fault from the start, my other HW60 J in LR is a superb well made and accurate as is this new one, cannot fault the new WMR it's fantastically accurate.

ironic really, you pay 125 smackers for a supposedly top range mod, when it comes down to it, the cheapest one on the market is the quieter one of the two and enhances the accuracy as it should be.

all sorted now, very pleased with new rifle, whispers are both in the sin bin - onwards and upwards.

ATB

phil

Thats good news then that its the wildcat mods at fault and not the rifle

around by me there a good few weihrauch shooters ive never heard of a problem with them of anyone

as for the mods i wouldn't buy any mod from wildcat after the experience i had beginning of the year shocking

ase and swift precisions for me couldn't be happier

a HW60 j and a SAK is a lovely light carrying rifle