Shooting in a new rifle.

old keeper

From time to time I read of how a new rifle's accuracy improves after it's been used for a while.
Is this like so many rifle matters infinitely variable or does it happen a lot? Have many on here found that accuracy improves as a rifle is used and if so what would be the running in period (round count).

From time to time I read of how a new rifle's accuracy improves after it's been used for a while.
Is this like so many rifle matters infinitely variable or does it happen a lot? Have many on here found that accuracy improves as a rifle is used and if so what would be the running in period (round count).

I depends on the quality of the gun. My Tikka 7-08 shot 1.2 MOA for it's first group, then MOA and (far) better from there on out. I wonder sometimes if the improvement in accuracy is just the shooter settling in to a new weapon. When I was testing 17HMR ammo from a new barrel I would count on 50 -200 rounds (without cleaning) before I got the best accuracy. It just depends on the barrel.~Muir

speculation IMO

I would love for a manufacturer to put this to bed with a proper test
10 barrels shot from the box, cleaned every 20-30 rounds
10 barrels shot in with a known "break in" regime

see what the spread and group size is afterwards

I havent broke in my 222, 204 and neumerous 243's 'properly' and never had a problem. Just give it a wet and dry patch every so often or if its a soaking wet day. but then people swear by regimental bore cleaning after every shot. each to there own some guns shoot better clean some guns shoot better dirty. Just dont take a new rifle out the box and blast 20/30 rounds through it within a couple of minutes or youll likely burn out the new barrel!!

I depends on the quality of the gun. My Tikka 7-08 shot 1.2 MOA for it's first group, then MOA and (far) better from there on out. I wonder sometimes if the improvement in accuracy is just the shooter settling in to a new weapon. When I was testing 17HMR ammo from a new barrel I would count on 50 -200 rounds (without cleaning) before I got the best accuracy. It just depends on the barrel.~Muir

Lot of truth in that I'm sure.

I also suspect a lot of owners of hunting rifles may never experience what their rifle is truly capable of by way of smallest groups as few will test such with a circa 36 power scope, fine crosshair, correspondingly appropriate aiming mark and a bench support setup conducive to ‘holding’ for such bug holes.

I’ve often heard it said that benchrest shooting is simple but if you’ve seen as many shooters as I have fanny about when attempting to either zero or load test from a bench you’d know they’ve not tried it competitively.

K

Back