Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Rifle Zeroing

  1. #1

    Rifle Zeroing

    Hi I'm a relative newby both on this site and to stalking, although I have now got my rifle and scope and due to Morton refusing all but fmj ammo I now have no accessible area to zero my setup, one good friend of mine is also in the same predicament, I had a work colleague who offered to allow me on to his patch for the zeroing only but this has sadly fallen through, is anyone in Scotland or the north of England able to offer the two of us a little time on a patch so that we can zero our rifles, by the way we don't as yet have moderators, so it may be rather noisy I have a .308 and my buddy has a .270, we live in the bathgate area of Scotland but can and will travel as we did intend to travel to stalk anyway, I can add that we are experienced shooters both shotguns and rifles so aren't total novices in anyway, so you can be assured we are not numpties with big guns.

  2. #2
    Seems rather unusual Eeyan that they should not allow you expanding ammunition if your rifle is conditioned for stalking or sporting use over ground. Are you sure that you are not limited to range use only?

    What do the actual conditions on your certificate say?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  3. #3
    my thoughts too 8x57. If theres no allowance for expanding ammo then they cant be used for shooting anything living..? And if thats the case, what were they passed for? IE what did your land use form say you wanted to use it for? The way i understand it is that you can get any rifle you want for target shooting as long as you belong to the correct rifle club that will allow you to shoot it? If you dont have deer/vermin and your not a member of a range, what basis did they give you the rifle?

    Sounds like a cluster with conditions?

  4. #4
    I think he means that the Morton rifle ranges only allows FMJ to be used so you cant zero with expanding ammo.

    MW3

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MW3 View Post
    I think he means that the Morton rifle ranges only allows FMJ to be used so you cant zero with expanding ammo.
    My interpretation also. Seems fairly clear from the OP.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyan View Post
    Hi I'm a relative newby both on this site and to stalking, although I have now got my rifle and scope and due to Morton refusing all but fmj ammo I now have no accessible area to zero my setup, one good friend of mine is also in the same predicament, I had a work colleague who offered to allow me on to his patch for the zeroing only but this has sadly fallen through, is anyone in Scotland or the north of England able to offer the two of us a little time on a patch so that we can zero our rifles, by the way we don't as yet have moderators, so it may be rather noisy I have a .308 and my buddy has a .270, we live in the bathgate area of Scotland but can and will travel as we did intend to travel to stalk anyway, I can add that we are experienced shooters both shotguns and rifles so aren't total novices in anyway, so you can be assured we are not numpties with big guns.
    I'm surprised that you don't have moderators and I think that's something you should address quickly. With moderators, zeroing opportunities may emerge.

    Regards

    JCS

  7. #7
    Assuming you are using telescopic sights, and can find an indoor range or safe but short outdoor range, ...
    zero it at 28 yards. This will be about 6 MOA elevation, giving you a 200 yard zero with the .308 and 240 yards with the .270. Both will be 2 inches high at 100 yards.

    If that doesn't suit your style, you can easily count the clicks to move the zero from that 100 yard setting. Then go find a real range, where you can fine tune the windage and check it for groups at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Assuming you are using telescopic sights, and can find an indoor range or safe but short outdoor range, ...
    zero it at 28 yards. This will be about 6 MOA elevation, giving you a 200 yard zero with the .308 and 240 yards with the .270. Both will be 2 inches high at 100 yards.

    If that doesn't suit your style, you can easily count the clicks to move the zero from that 100 yard setting. Then go find a real range, where you can fine tune the windage and check it for groups at 100, 200 and 300 yards.
    These are rather big assumptions. I've been shooting centrefire rifles in Scotland for nearly fifty years. I've not run across an indoor range yet. Regards JCS

  9. #9
    Really!! No indoor ranges? Gosh, they are everywhere in the USA, mostly handgun lanes, of course, but a few for getting a rifle sighted in or shooting a .22 or holding air rifle matches. Most are 25 meters, with electric cable systems to move targets out to 25 yards, 20, 15, 10, and 5.

    There are a lot of 50 meter indoor ranges, too.
    In cold climates, and in Europe, I have shot on 100 meter indoor ranges.

    As for the rest of it about sighting in at 25 yards, assumptions or not, go try it with almost any factory loads for the .308 and .270 and tell me how many mm I am off at 200 yards. If he gets it right at 27 to 28 yards with 1.5 inches above the bore, he won't be more than a click off at 100. And the high rings for a 56mm scope don't make that much difference. If using 150-gr bullets in both, the .270 and .308 will shoot to the same place at 100 yards and almost the same zero at 200 yards.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MW3 View Post
    I think he means that the Morton rifle ranges only allows FMJ to be used so you cant zero with expanding ammo.

    MW3
    It wasn't clear in the original posting that Eeyan was talking about a particular rifle range. I had assumed from the information in the original post that Morton was a firearms department and it would seem that I was not the only one to take it that way.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Similar Threads

  1. Rifle zeroing
    By Colesco in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 22-06-2014, 13:13
  2. Wanted Rifle zeroing
    By jcmita in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 08:20
  3. Zeroing a moderated rifle
    By Steve29 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14-11-2010, 13:32
  4. Zeroing new rifle
    By david1976 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 19-02-2010, 20:47
  5. zeroing in my rifle
    By bartman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 23:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •