Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it inevitable that a lung shot deer will run?

Is it inevitable that a lung shot deer will run?

I took a roe y'day,shot was fine or so I thought but it ran about 60 yards back into the woods.
    It took a while to find as it was about 50 yards in and the light was failing.
    I found shot was fine,and the lungs were mush,the heart was missed. I was happy except that it had run so far. I'm pretty sure it hadn't seen me before the shot.
    I did notice that there wasn't a great exit wound though so am beginning to question my .308 150 grain Federal choice. The rifle loves the ammo and I know if it doesn't put shots through the same hole at 100 then it's my fault...I have confidence in it and haven't had any problems before. I'm wondering now though if the 150 doesn't have a decent chance to expand in a roe.
    I have some 123 Sako which groups fine and,handily,to the same point of impact but I have yet to take a deer with it.
    I'm wondering what others experience is with this combo on Roe ?.

ps... no I'm not going to sell it and buy a .243
    pps...on an evening stalk Don't forget your great petzl torch and have to rely on your £2.99 b & q back up torch
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

hi in my 40 years experiance yearlings usualy drop where they are if its a mature deer ive seen them go 200 yards 222x223x243 x22.250 i have found the smaller faster rounds to be better regards robert

i wouldnt worrie about it pf, i take it you have used these federal bullets on roe before and they have been fine so why change now on the reaction of just one deer as we all know no two deer react the same when hit and no two bullets do the same thing this was just how this buck reacted and i wouldnt worrie to much

Just one of those things, it can happen with any caliber or bullet combination.

Yes it was a mature deer..I suppose they have more resilience than a yearling?
    And yes had good results before. It wasn't a good experience though esp re the torch,my stupidity. It hangs on my bits'n'pieces bag now.
    Thanks for info.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

With150gr in .308 and perfect chest shots, I've had them fold up on the spot; stumble 10 yards; run flat out for anywhere between 10 and 80 yards; run in circles; and leap in the air before tumbling over.

I don't thing a single animal tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    With150gr in .308 and perfect chest shots, I've had them fold up on the spot; stumble 10 yards; run flat out for anywhere between 10 and 80 yards; run in circles; and leap in the air before tumbling over.

I don't thing a single animal tells you anything.
    +1

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Have you checked the carcass to see if you had one of those lucky pass through's that never really touched bone.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Was the deer aware that you were there? Another thing that no-one ever seems to consider with lung shots; was it breathing in or out? Who knows but, imagine you are going to stab a balloon with a pencil, if the balloon is inflated you are likely to get a fairly dramatic result, if it is almost completely deflated then you are likely to get a much less dramatic effect.

As the other guys have said, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from one shot. The 150grn soft point in the .308 is a classic combination. 123/125grn is good too.

I use the exact same bullet and I have to say the results are excellent. No runners at all. I have shot roe and fallow with it. I did have a fox run for 30-40 yards after I shot it, but as you would expect I did not open her up to see where the bullet went. I was just happy to see it fall after it run a bit.