Ruger no.1 eye relief?

Home Loader

Morning folks
i have a Ruger no.1 and am struggling to get the appropriate eye relief, how do you folks get on? In the interest of scope height I would be happy to change to a scope with a longer eye relief what are you using?
Regards
Martin

What mounts do you have, is it possible to extend your scope further forward?

I have a Ruger no1 and have written a lot on the subject on here.
The only sensible solution that I came up (other than growing a longer neck) with was this offering from Conetrol mounts in the USA.
View attachment 47130View attachment 47131

The biggest problem I had was removing the original scope mounting base from the barrel. My advice is leave that bit to a gunsmith.
The base is completely replaced and the mounts are projectionless which makes it all very slick.
Mine is a 1B what version do you have?
You can see just how far back I have got the scope as the eyepiece is level with the start of the stock cheek piece. It works really well.

Last edited:
Ruger make a step back mount, they work well, also look for a scope with greater eye relief. Thats what I did with mine, worked well.

The only sensible solution that I came up (other than growing a longer neck) with was this offering from Conetrol mounts in the USA.

The biggest problem I had was removing the original scope mounting base from the barrel. My advice is leave that bit to a gunsmith.
The base is completely replaced and the mounts are projectionless which makes it all very slick.
You can see just how far back I have got the scope as the eyepiece is level with the start of the stock cheek piece. It works really well.

Thats nice just the thing! mine is a 1B in .243 stainless and laminate, I have removed the recoil pad and it's about right. But not the best answer!

Nice!

K

Just dug out the original boxes for those of you that are interested.
Base...Custum LH1RC1
Rings...Custum 30C3

Good luck

No, sadly not. I found them on some american shooting site when doing a general google search.
Klenchblaize on here seems to know Conrtrol quite well, but a google search will bring up their details and a quick chat with them will probably bring some quick results.
One thing to also add is be aware of your scopes eye relief. Some can run short eye relief. My scope is now a 3-9x40 Zeiss which I think has 3.5-4 inches of eye relief.

View attachment 47149
This is my 1B stainless fitted with Ruger 1" Stainless off set mounts they work great but can be very hard too find here in the UK .. I also have just got hold of a new mount specially designed for the Ruger No1B model for my brothers 1B 308 I will send a link & photo later today.

I too tried this mount but the problem I still found was that bell of the scope would still contact the leading edge.
Very much like your 1st pic, unless you have a very long scope then offset mounts will help but the scope will still hit at the bell.

2p worth
i used setback rings on mine think they were from sportsmatch .sold them a while ago to another #1 owner on the site. bkl also do them.

Also available in 30mm, item# BKL-S-374.
BKL-S-274-1.jpg

BKL Technologies - Airgun and Rimfire Scope Mounts - Made in the USA

View attachment 47174
I had a spare set of Buerler 1" mounts until recently but sold them back to my friend in the US who sold them to me ..No longer made so very hard to get hold of ...

If I recall correctly their split rings were supplied as standard with a number of shims that, intended of not, may allow for install of a 26mm tubed scope??

Oh, and don't install a picatiny rail on a Ruger #1 please!

K

View attachment 47174
I had a spare set of Buerler 1" mounts until recently but sold them back to my friend in the US who sold them to me ..No longer made so very hard to get hold of ...

That's exactly the same as the Conetrol one, but not the rings. Wonder who stole or bought whose design.
Had a quick look at the Control website and they still list them.
As Klenchblaze says, apicatinny on a No1 just doesn't look right and by the time you've added mounts looks even clumsier, almost ugly.
Cost me £200 to find that out :doh:

That's exactly the same as the Conetrol one, but not the rings. Wonder who stole or bought whose design.
Had a quick look at the Control website and they still list them.
As Klenchblaze says, apicatinny on a No1 just doesn't look right and by the time you've added mounts looks even clumsier, almost ugly.
Cost me £200 to find that out :doh:
my Buerler are dated 1979 I also think Redfield made them

Back