Thread: Frence Hunting Licence QUESTION

Frence Hunting Licence QUESTION

Hi i was Going through a question paper for the Examination du chasse, its a multi choice paper of 21 questions not unlike our dsc 1 paper

I came to a question that said, which shotgun pellet travels the greater distance a number 4 or a number 8, i ticked the box for number 4 and got the correct answer, But thinking about it is it really the case, would the extra weight of the number 4 pellet take it further or would the larger size of the shot slow it down faster as it punches through the air, i dont know, What do you think?

Bigger pellet, more energy, keeps it longer, travels further. That's what I'd say. Before I got my rimfire I used BB through a full choke (with scope) to hit rabbits at 60 yards or so. Wouldn't dream of doing that with 8 shot.

I was always lead to believe that the larger pellets shed their energy or momentum (physicists please feel free to correct) less than the smaller pellets and thus travelled further.
    I understand that a safety zone of 300 yards is normally maintained downrange of a clay pigeon layout because of the possibility of cold forging or clumping of smaller pellets together in the barrel and thus presenting a greater danger due to extended range.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Well I suppose if you throw a cricket ball and a pingpong ball and see which goes further, you will have your answer
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

That's part of the hunting test over here too.

Shot size in mm x100 = safe distance in metres.

not sure if the ping pong ball is a good example due to the different density of the two balls,

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    not sure if the ping pong ball is a good example due to the different density of the two balls,
    Which is the heaviest, a kilo of **** or a kilo of Diarrhoea

Quote Originally Posted by wellshafted View Post
    Which is the heaviest, a kilo of **** or a kilo of Diarrhoea
    More to the point, which of them can you throw furthest.