Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 Win Mag reloads

.300 Win Mag reloads

Supposed to be collecting the old re barreled .264 Finnbear, this next Saturday, & I have a pretty wide choice / availability in suitable powders for this calibre, Vit 165/160, H 4831 some Varget, Ramshot Magnum, Anyone on here been on any of these ? Will be using 180 grain Partitions initially, Steve.

Just got a box of fifty cases ready to charge up, CCI mag primers.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 21-09-2014 at 11:18.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

In my 308 Norma Magnum I'm using H-4831 and IMR 4831. Good accuracy, speed, moderate pressures. I'm not sure I'd go with Varget even if they supplied data.

One of the local shops wants to start carrying Vhit powders. I wish they would supply pressure info with their data. All they give is charge and MV, which falls short of full disclosure to the thinking reloader. It's hard to decide on a powder when the decision needs to be based on velocity alone.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    In my 308 Norma Magnum I'm using H-4831 and IMR 4831. Good accuracy, speed, moderate pressures. I'm not sure I'd go with Varget even if they supplied data.

One of the local shops wants to start carrying Vhit powders. I wish they would supply pressure info with their data. All they give is charge and MV, which falls short of full disclosure to the thinking reloader. It's hard to decide on a powder when the decision needs to be based on velocity alone.~Muir
    I can concur with you on that one, regards Vit Andy, but us Euro types tend to be grateful for what we can get our sticky's on over here!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ramshot Magnum has proved to be very effective in my 300WM, I recon you could get atleast 80gr to start with using the 180gr Nosler. Work up from there, I use the same primers and have achieved 1/3 MOA groups.

i used H4350 but when it ran out I moved onto Ramshot Magnum, cheaper too.

good luck.

Thank you Tam!

Fin
    Like Tam I used h4350 but was unable to source so switched to reloader 22
    good powder and better availability at the time , it's a pain keep swapping powders so purchased enough to keep me going!!!!! , I use this for 180s and 208s

I have trialled n165, n160, imr4831, h4831 and recently H1000.
    only have one tub of it and it was exclusively for 208gr I wanted to try it

of all the powders n160 was the one that yielded the best accuracy, no idea about velocities
    i was using 185gr megas, 208gr amax

now using 180gr corelokt over Remington factory powder
    (had 130 rounds I pulled and worked up a load based on their bullets and norma brass)

when shovelling 80-90 gr of powder in you want the powder to be readily available !

I've wondered about this myself: but is it not that the pressure data would relate only to the factory test rig? If that is so, then the practical relevance to one reloading for his own rifle would seem to be very limited - just as the powder-makers' velocity data are of pretty much no use at all.

Certainly not full disclosure Muir. All they give in the reloading manual is max pressure for the upper loads that they list but as Dalua says any load data will only be relevant to that particular test barrel and the components used at that time.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Certainly not full disclosure Muir. All they give in the reloading manual is max pressure for the upper loads that they list but as Dalua says any load data will only be relevant to that particular test barrel and the components used at that time.
    It is another piece of information and if you consider that the test vehicle and component chain is the same, then it is relevant in that it compares load X to load Y in that particular data set. Like always, it is somewhat meaningless with specific regard to an individuals rifle and load, but it does give a guidance to reloaders who want to make the best choice for a powder/bullet combo. I like to choose powders that give lesser chamber pressures while delivering workable velocities. If I see that one powder gives 2900 fps @ 60K psi and another gives 2868 fps at 55K psi I try the lower pressure powder first. Even though it is only strictly relevant to their test data, it can still be considered a guide as to relative chamber pressures in identical component/firearm assemblies.~Muir