Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pine Martens

Pine Martens

Saw a cracking bit of filming on telly this last couple of days, Pine Martens raiding the big plastic wheelie bins that get emptied by those front end loaders, they seem to be pretty strong animals, even getting in the bins without needing one left slightly open!, one other point raised by the naturalist chappie, was they reckoned the Martens could be responsible for the crash in grey squirrel numbers, where they are active, & a consequent increase in red squirrels?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

interesting ,a friend of mine caught one in his empty wheely bin , and despite putting a 4" concrete block on the top of the lid it was able to jump up high and hard enough to lift the lid a few inches .
    Here in county meath where i live the grey squirrel population has indeed crashed , i fact i can't remember when i saw the last one when it was a daily occurrence to see them round here something i'm delighted about , although i have reservations about rising pine marten numbers having been on the receiving end of their attentions in the past
    Last edited by landkeeper; 21-09-2014 at 12:02.
    a barony original

We have a family of pine martens living on our land , since they arrived the feral cat population has vanished so the small birds are returning . Selective predators and fearless , the male sits on a fence strainer post and watches as I pass , doesn't even flinch if I stop and watch it .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Unfortunately not only grey's they are also responsible for the decline in red squirrel's in some areas.

I think we have martens of some description (either stone or pine) on our shoot. Anyone able to ID from this trailcam photo?

I wish they would see the cats off here as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0388.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I think we have martens of some description (either stone or pine) on our shoot. Anyone able to ID from this trailcam photo?

I wish they would see the cats off here as well!
    Looks like a really well built bit of killing machine!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

We have a healthy population of Pine Martens in Alberta , they are an amazing little animal . I've watched them chasing red squirrels , a different species than yours , through the trees thirty feet up . To say that they're agile would be an understatement . They are one of my favorites .

That being said , there is a family of them where we camp when out hunting . They have become accomplished camp raiders . They show up a few hours after we set up camp and wait for an opportunity to grab something . They've learned how to open coolers , even the ones with latches , they're quite intelligent . To be honest I enjoy having them around even if they steal the odd ruffed grouse ( they seem to like them ) or pack of sausages . Theres worse things that can raid your camp out here lol .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Unfortunately not only grey's they are also responsible for the decline in red squirrel's in some areas.
    The recently published Irish research indicated that pine martens were hard on greys but were rarely able to catch a red. There have been several theories put forward for this (greys more likely to feed on ground or reds smaller and so able to access branches that the martens can't) but I haven't seen any research which indicates that pine martens will result in a decline in reds, in fact quite the opposite. However, all the research I've seen has been done in areas where both red and greys are present and, just thinking aloud here, but it is possible that where only reds were present then the pine martens might get enough of them to present a problem.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    The recently published Irish research indicated that pine martens were hard on greys but were rarely able to catch a red. There have been several theories put forward for this (greys more likely to feed on ground or reds smaller and so able to access branches that the martens can't) but I haven't seen any research which indicates that pine martens will result in a decline in reds, in fact quite the opposite. However, all the research I've seen has been done in areas where both red and greys are present and, just thinking aloud here, but it is possible that where only reds were present then the pine martens might get enough of them to present a problem.
    We had no Pine martens in this area until a few years ago, but a good population of red Squirrels , Pine Martens are now well and truly established, rarely see a red these days, hear the same from other areas that Pine Martens
    have recently colonised.

Whether its actual numbers killed by them, or whether reds just move out of the area once Pine Martens move in
    I don't know but they certainly have an effect on the red squirrel population.

Apart from that they are not popular with anyone rearing pheasants or keeping chickens, can do more damage than a fox in a release pen.

i can vouch for that fact +250 16wk old cock poults killed in one night and from what i could tell it didn't even eat one
    a barony original