Thread: Hello

Hello

Hello everyone!
    Have looked at the site a few times recently and just signed up (with a bit of help from the missus). Not very good at all, with all this computer stuff.

Brief History...
    Been a falconer for over twenty years, shot since a young boy and also like my fishing. I do a lot of lamping, rabbits and vermin with the .22 and foxing (roe in Scotland) with the .222. Also home load.

I plan to do a lot more stalking, and hope to move up to a .243 and take the DSC Level 1.

Found the different forums very interesting. Was wondering what other peoples opinion on the DSC level 1 is?

Is it worth the time and money?

Gyr

Hi Gyr,
    Blimey your a busy bloke! Welcome to the site mate. We have a visit to the Quex Museum coming up in May and a large contingent of the site will be at the CLA game fair this year. I hope that many of the new members will be able to join us and put some names to faces.

As for DSC 1, yes it is a good idea. I did mine ten years ago and really enjoyed it. Now you have the added bonus of the large game handling certificate being part of the course! The DSC1 course will give you the basic knowledge of the six species of deer found in the British Isles and their management. You will also meet many more stalkers and hopefully get more stalking opportunities.

Good luck!

Hi Gyr,
    Nice to know there are people in the same boat as me, i have a similar background to yourself and i'm thinking of doing my DSC1 in june if i can get on the BDS course in shropshire. look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
    Regards, Ezzy.

welcome gyr,
    looks like you hav already made friends to share your experiences with , as ezzy says he is in the same boat and i hope the pair off you will learn a lot off this site, i know i hav and i've been stalking 15 stretch i think and i will keep on learning i hope, may be we will learn from you
    as for the DSC1 i think it is well worth doing as it is very educational,
    one day it will become compulsory anyway
    best of luck and keep posting
    stone
    ps are we talking gyr crosses or pure breds

Thanks for your replies. Advice about the DSC appreciated. Hope to take it in Septemeber, in Shropshire as well, Spring and Summer a very busy time work wise for me.

Presently flying a 2 year old Gyr x Barbary Tiercel at partridge and pheasant.

Glad I joined this site already!

Gyr

Hi Gyr,
    you can start work immediately! A mate was telling me that he saw two falconers flying birds to catch pheasant and partridge only last week. Is it true, or are you guys bound by the same seasons for game as us gun owners?
    Welcome aboard, give a little take a little should be our motto!
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Hi Mark

Yes, falconers are bound by the same game seasons as everyone else.

A falconer who flies a peregrine or a gos hawk, lets say, at just game, will usually end their season when the game season ends. However some people who fly their hawk at rabbits and pheasants (Gos hawks and Harris Hawks for example) will sometimes carry on into Feb and March at rabbits. When you slip your hawk at a rabbit and it accidently flies a pheasant that gets up, there isn't a lot you can do about it. However going out of your way to catch game out of season is frowned upon and if you are a member of a hawking club, this will be against the code of conduct and you will be kicked out.

Hope that makes sense

Gyr

Thanks Gyr,
    Thats made it clear. Great to have a diverse knowledge bank on the site.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyr
    Thanks for your replies. Advice about the DSC appreciated. Hope to take it in Septemeber, in Shropshire as well, Spring and Summer a very busy time work wise for me.

Presently flying a 2 year old Gyr x Barbary Tiercel at partridge and pheasant.

Glad I joined this site already!

Gyr
    hi gyr
    glad to see that you are enjoying it , i am not a falconer myself but always had a passion to try something different falconery was one of them.
    i hav always loved goshawks
    ATB
    stone