Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Season USA

Deer Season USA

Archery and muzzle loader season is opening in the South

Big deer opening day.
    Cherokee County produces huge 8-point buck for Gaffney bowhunter - South Carolina Sportsman

Wish we had Muzzle loading season over here...... Plus more land! Soithern what Muzzle loader do you use?
    ATB Al

I don't have a muzzle loader now. The only one I ever had was a Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle - lovely!

I am thinking of a Pedersoli Tryon, or building one from scratch in a class.

But I am an archery hunter for 50 years, longbow and recurve. It is like fly fishing, making one's own arrows and quiver, like building a fly rod and tying flies - a great satisfaction to bring home something with it, and you so hate to lose an arrow or a fly or lure you made.

I am out over the next week we have an early anterless season in loudoun county in virginia and the club i am a member of has a modern firearms week. Can't wait to bag my first whitetail. Even better in the virginia department of game and fisheries magazine loudoun was ranked as number 1 for the number of whitetail shot per square mile in virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I don't have a muzzle loader now. The only one I ever had was a Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle - lovely!

I am thinking of a Pedersoli Tryon, or building one from scratch in a class.

But I am an archery hunter for 50 years, longbow and recurve. It is like fly fishing, making one's own arrows and quiver, like building a fly rod and tying flies - a great satisfaction to bring home something with it, and you so hate to lose an arrow or a fly or lure you made.
    Wow,
    I still have my Jonathen Browning Mountain Rifle from 1984 from when I was working in Detroit, I will never sell it.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Wish we had Muzzle loading season over here...... Plus more land! Soithern what Muzzle loader do you use?
    ATB Al
    We do have, it's the same as the rest of the open seasons for deer.

There is no reason as far as I know why you can't use a muzzle loading rifle in the U.K. for stalking just as long as it conforms to the various requirements of whatever country you happen to be shooting in. We just don't have extended open seasons when only muzzle loaders can be used.
    Last edited by 8x57; 22-09-2014 at 06:49.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    We do have, it's the same as the rest of the open seasons for deer.

There is no reason as far as I know why you can't use a muzzle loading rifle in the U.K. for stalking just as long as it conforms to the various requirements of whatever country you happen to be shooting in. We just don't have extended open seasons when only muzzle loaders can be used.
    I recall that in 2001/2 there was considerable discussion between BASC and ACPO firearms licensing regarding the issue of firearms certificates for shooting deer with muzzle loading rifles. It was when George Wallace was still with BASC. Unfortunately I cannot recall the reasoning but I remember the outcome was that muzzle loaders would not be issued a FAC for shooting deer. The issue went quiet after that and I do not recall any appeals to the Crown Court. So as far as I know that is where it still lies.
    It would be interesting to know whether a muzzle loading rifle could comply with the Scottish requirements regarding muzzle velocity ? Doubtless they could comply with the requirements in England and Wales as only calibre and muzzle energy are stated ? I also imagine that the hollow point or soft nosed bullet requirement could be met ? Could a muzzle loading rifle comply with the Scottish requirement for an expanding bullet ?
    As I have never used a muzzle loading rifle, it would be interesting to know what our American friends load them with.

Could load with these (to qualify for expanding missiles) not sure about scottish velocity though?
    Hornady Muzzleloading Bullets 50 Cal Sabot 45 Cal 250 Grain Low Drag

As you say Uncle Norm meeting the Scottish velocity requirements would be a challenge but it could probably be done with a saboted bullet. The Hollow point requirement is easily met so it would just depend on firearms departments granting the necessary authority.

I suppose if someone was keen enough to push the point ultimately the Chief Constable would have to concede and grant authority or justify their actions in the courts if someone really wanted to push it.

I'm saying all this yet I don't like muzzle loaders and black powder and all the hassle involved with them, and my personal opinion is why when you have much better modern firearms available. But hey, each to his own.
    Last edited by 8x57; 22-09-2014 at 07:49.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The primary attraction of black powder and archery in America is traditional hunting, seeing how well you can do as your ancestors had to do with similar equipment. Many of the traditionalists are really into it, using flintlocks and cap-and-ball rifles, longbows, and recurves with wooden arrows ( myself ), some even dressing in buckskin and wool, rather than camoflage clothing.

But when special seasons were set aside, manufactures answered the call for tools which were easier to shoot, like compound bows with sights, stainless muzzle loaders with scopes, etc. The attraction became more about getting first crack at the deer.

Even a .32 caliber round ball from a "squirrel gun" is quite lethal on deer or man at 200 yards, and there are rifles and men who can place the shot to do it. But normal hunting is inside 100 yards with a .45, .50 or .54 caliber pointed projectile - better than a rifled slug from a shotgun, which is proven and accepted on wild boar.