Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army surplus boots

Army surplus boots

Ok, so I felt a review was in order having now owned a pair of 'extreme cold weather boots' as issued to the Royal Marines, and now worn them for the past few months......
    my initial thought was that they aren't as soft as the more expensive meindl equivelants and were a bit squeaky too.....
    this has changed, having worn them numerous times now I can firmly say they are one of the most supportive and comfortable boots I've owned, and the squeaking has subsided now they aren't fresh out the box. I have walked through boggy ditches almost up to the top of them and not got damp, and my feet haven't cooked either, despite their name, they are just right (IMHO.)
    so for the princely sum of 65 posted, I have a high ankle, goretex boot with vibram sole which are a joy to wear, and I suspect will only get better with time.
    Just thought it was worth reviewing them now they've been tested a bit. I can't recommend them highly enough.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I've had a pair of these for about 3 years now and they are only just on the way out with a few small splits in the leather at the tongue part of the boot. I did have to do a repair on one of the eyelits which broke but they have seen a lot of hard use. Got mine for around the 60 mark if I remember. I found they required a month or so of wearing in and although they are never likely to be as comfy as some of the civvie boots that are available I will happily walk long distances in them and can attest to the fact that mine have kept my feet dry in even the boggiest conditions. If I had 200 a time to shell out on boots I'd get something made from a more supple and comfier to wear leather but I can't afford to spend money like that on boots just to trash them in heather, brash and bog. For the price you can get these, they are steal.

Good to know as I was thinking about getting a pair for the winter.
    I've got a pair of Haix boots from the same site. Great value for the money. Very pleased with them

Jon

Good review. For the good few years I've been wearing German Para boots around the farmyard, which in the past were an excellent boot and really lasted well. But the last couple of pairs I've had problems with the soles peeling off. I've heard other good reports for the ECW boots, so I'll definitely being giving them a try. Where did you get them from?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Good review. For the good few years I've been wearing German Para boots around the farmyard, which in the past were an excellent boot and really lasted well. But the last couple of pairs I've had problems with the soles peeling off. I've heard other good reports for the ECW boots, so I'll definitely being giving them a try. Where did you get them from?
    British Military Surplus - British Military Surplus

but they also have an eBay shop too, they were very helpful to deal with too.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks.............. they seem to have a good selection of stock.

I've had a couple of those type of cold weather surplus boots before. And I don't really rate them. Mine have leaked after not that long of use and I hate wet feet. Now the previous version of these boots that these replaced are much better in my eyes. They last me 3 to 4 times as long, are warm and stay waterproof even when leather starts to come away from sole. So I always buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post

I bought grade 1 issued boots. already worn in enough to bend the leather a little, but hardly seemed worn.

Looking at the sole they had been issued to someone who watched telly for a living and only ever walked on carpet between the kitchen and sofa! The soles genuinely looked unused.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post

I bought some goretex assault boots from this same ebayer three years ago and can recommend both the supplier and the boots. The boots were sold as Grade 1 used, but the seller sent what seemed to be new as far as I could tell, and they only cost 35 iirc. I also wanted a large width fitting and the supplier was very helpful in making sure that this was what I got.

They are good. I have a spare pair here in size 9 that I might put in classified if there is any interest.