Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you use skype, be careful...

If you use skype, be careful...

Be careful guys. My wife and I had today both our accounts compromised. They set up 'automatic recharge' and managed to take 20 from our paypal accounts to call Senegal, Nigeria and Kenya. 40 phone calls in the space of 10 minutes, believe it or not. Skype quickly caught up with them and they are reversing the charges made (we are getting our 20 back) but we notified paypal and Skype anyway.

Might want to check your machines for a keylogger.

Had you already used Pay-Pal to buy Skype credit ?

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer90 View Post
    Might want to check your machines for a keylogger.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I doubt this was the problem, as they somehow managed to break in my Skype account, which I have not used for just under a year, and only from my mobile and my laptop whilst I was abroad. My day to day internet banking, paypal etc is done on my home pc which is protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Had you already used Pay-Pal to buy Skype credit ?

Neil.
    I have indeed, just under a year ago. What the scammers did was somehow gain access to my Skype account, use the 3 I had there, and then set up automatic recharge of the account when it fell below the 2 mark. This process does not require any passwords from the Paypal side.

Nevertheless, I have changed both my skype and my Paypal address, but I got messages both from Paypal and Skype, asying that my money will be returned. On top of that, Skypa had already blocked any purchases on my account within the ten minutes that passed between me getting a message from Paypal saying 'your order for 10 to Skype was successful' which raised my suspicions (as I had not placed such an order) and them reversing the charges as 'fraudulent'. I cannot blame them, they seem to have been on the ball...

So you have an idea what they did....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ennnn.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	47175

easy thing is not to link your skype account to payapal.

Don't use Skype, use hangouts and its free

Thanks for the advice guys. Skype is not bad, actually. I guess I got unlucky. I have always been very careful, and never mess about with my passwords etc.

skype is great - its also free so not sure why paypal even needs to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    skype is great - its also free so not sure why paypal even needs to be involved.
    I used to to add some credit so I can call landlines when I was abroad. Much better rates than a regular call.