Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light weight rifles

Light weight rifles

At present I am using a Tikka M595 stainless laminate with a Wildcat moderator.

I am having issues related to the weight I have to carry around stalking, namely back and shoulder pain and I am thinking about a light rifle with no moderator.

Basically going back to basics.
    At present I am using .222 but have a free slot for .270 and I would prefer just to have one rifle for all uses. (.222 drops my Roe just fine, but I might be persuaded to use .270.

Anyone using a light hunting rifle.?

ANYTHING seems wonderfully light once you ditch the mod.

I no longer use a mod except when foxing at night in suburban areas.

Nothing would induce me to going back to lugging one around stalking. Much better to just carry a set of ear plugs and stick them in when you expect to take a shot.

I have the same rifle and would suggest that if you are happy with the performance (ace aren't they) then i would just ditch the mod and use some earplugs , .222's aren't that loud and the handling will be even better.

I shot for 20 years with a 30-06 BSA that weighed 7lb scoped it was a pleasure to carry, it let you know when you pulled the trigger, but how often do you shoot compared with the time you walk.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Nothing would induce me to going back to lugging one around stalking. Much better to just carry a set of ear plugs and stick them in when you expect to take a shot.

+1

Excellent post,

Regards,
    Glendine

Have you considered a single shot break barrel?

I started using a Heym kipplauf a couple of years ago and I wouldn't go back to a bolt gun for sport/leisure stalking now.

Most single shot rifles weigh much less than a moderator equipped bolt action and if you couple it with a known 'soft' recoiling cartridge, (7x57 in my case but 6.5x55 would be another), they are a joy to shoot.

Attachment 47172

A rifle, pair of binos and a small waist pack are all I need for woodland stalking these days.

My mod weighs a tad under 200grams, just 7 oz. My sporter barrel is chopped from 24 to 20" saved 135grams. Overall the weight increase is around 2oz.
    Then again there are moderators out there that weigh 1kg. My take is to weigh each component and then make a decision on what would make the most sense. Some mounts are crazy heavy, or scopes, action etc.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Might work on the hill but woodland stalking you often find yourself presented with opportunities when you least expect it!

My choice would be a Heym SR20 every time! I have one unmoderated in .270. It was my first rifle and I will be sending it of to Heym to be rebarrelled and refurbished soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    My mod weighs a tad under 200grams, just 7 oz. My sporter barrel is chopped from 24 to 20" saved 135grams. Overall the weight increase is around 2oz.
    Then again there are moderators out there that weigh 1kg. My take is to weigh each component and then make a decision on what would make the most sense. Some mounts are crazy heavy, or scopes, action etc.
    edi
    I agree with Edi. I like lightweight rifles. I would never consider a rifle with a weight more than 3.1 / 3.2 kg. You have to think about every part. My 243 Rem 700 ADL lost 300 grams just by changing the stock in favour of a lightweight PSE hunter stock. The scope is a 6x42 Kahles. Total weight will be around 3.5kg.

SD Regular
    Some of the lightest rifles were the Voere based on the Mauser 98 action. A penvcil thin, but full 24" length, barrel. The one with the tang safety like the early Ruger rifles. I have one just acquired and am playing about with it at the moment. It is in 270WCF.