Thread: Take the Plunge.

Take the Plunge.

Right I'm gonna do it and have ago at loading my own.
    I have a Tika T3 Stainless Lite in .243 win and have been quite happy shooting factory Federal V Shock with 55 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for the Fox's. Have just started to get into the Deer but have not been to happy with some of the heavier factory loads I have tried.
    I have a couple of mates who are willing to show me the ropes but can anybody recomend a good book explaining the basics so I can do some homework first.
    Also if there is any T3 users here shooting in .243 if you could give me a starting point. I have been recomended 40grns H414 with a 100grn Nosler Partition.

Cheers.

Modern Reloading, (second edition) by Richard Lee. Full of useful information and a blow by blow set of instructions for reloading, should start you off OK.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

my first bit of advice would be sod the reading, get yourself someone local who can give you some demos and advice. I started reloading just recently, bought my gear second hand, 150 got me a press, scales - dispenser type, bits and bats, I had to purchase some basics, dies, reamers, etc etc. My first 200 rounds were loaded by guys around me who are into reloading.

2nd bit of advice. DONT GET ANAL about it. if you can get your rounds clover leaving at 100 meters then job done. SOD bullet on bullet.....for doing what we do, if you get a 1 inch group then its job done.

Get your gear, keep it simple, work on your loads and there you go.........once you have found something that works. stick at it. So what if you are using 70 grains to blow up a fox, a rabbit or a roe..............once you have laid out your money for your gear then its cheap as chips. your days of paying 20 quid for 20 rounds are well gone.....BUY YOUR GEAR SECOND HAND there are loads that have given it up..........BUT GET YOUR DIES NEW.

Good advice re the NEW dies,.............would'nt agree on not reading any...................... bullet on bullet,..tends to follow on anyways!........Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Most .243 rifles have a twist rate of one turn in ten inches which suits bullets around 85gr better than say 100gr. I won a box of Privi Partisan 100 grainers at a stalkers shoot and was surprised to get a half-inch three shot group at 100yds in the bullseye when sighted in for 75gr V.Max. [Tikka T3 rifle.]
    Very handy as with a swift bullet change a Roe or a Crow could be arrested taking a normal point of aim.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
    my first bit of advice would be sod the reading, get yourself someone local who can give you some demos and advice. I started reloading just recently, bought my gear second hand, 150 got me a press, scales - dispenser type, bits and bats, I had to purchase some basics, dies, reamers, etc etc. My first 200 rounds were loaded by guys around me who are into reloading.

2nd bit of advice. DONT GET ANAL about it. if you can get your rounds clover leaving at 100 meters then job done. SOD bullet on bullet.....for doing what we do, if you get a 1 inch group then its job done.

Get your gear, keep it simple, work on your loads and there you go.........once you have found something that works. stick at it. So what if you are using 70 grains to blow up a fox, a rabbit or a roe..............once you have laid out your money for your gear then its cheap as chips. your days of paying 20 quid for 20 rounds are well gone.....BUY YOUR GEAR SECOND HAND there are loads that have given it up..........BUT GET YOUR DIES NEW.
    I must disagree on the reloading book VS local folks who reload. No offense, but you haven't been reloading long enough if you offer that advice. When you have been reloading long enough you realize that there is a lot of misinformation even amongst "experienced" reloaders. The reading first, then ask questions for the things you don't understand. I second JAYB's advice. Lee's book is excellent.

I don't care where one gets reloading equipment. I buy used dies because I've had some die sets for over 30 years and they were used when I got them. I still use them. To each his own though.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you on the anal part. MOA is fine accuracy. Too many people go to extremes to obtain the unobtainable.~MUir

Thanks all for your replies and advise. No offence Lancs Lad but I think I will invest in a bit of reading first

Look on YouTube - loads of reloading information.

Also here http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp

Finally dont forget - no such thing as a daft question, only daft replies.

Reading is (obviously) informative but best advice (as already suggested) is to find a local reloader & watch them.

If you are anywhere near Milton Keynes then PM me?