Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Day of the Roaring

The Day of the Roaring

The 26th of September is traditionally known as the day of the roaring, the day the red deer rut begins , though the rut seldom really gets going before the first week in October.

Stags and hinds spend most of the time in separate herds , often many miles apart, few forests are large enough nor fortunate enough to have both most are either stag forests or hind forests.

Maybe this is where I should say for those that know nothing of the Highlands, that the term forest is a misnomer as there are few if any trees on a Highland deer forest.

For those who have access to a stag forest the build up to the rut can be seen and heard prior to its start,the bachelor companionship of high summer has gone and tempers are now becoming frayed, and the stags can now be heard trying out their voices.

Those who are on a hind forest will listen in frustration, to the distant roars of stags, while none are to be seen on the ground,until one day the first stag is seen from then on more and more will appear each day

Stags tend to rut in the same spots year after year, and individuals become known to the stalker,
    but every so often a big mature stranger will appear , why has he moved from his traditional rutting spot,has he been driven from his usual place by an even bigger stag? or did he perhaps just fancy a change of scene.

Early in the rut stags can be seen with huge herds of hinds, but as competition for hinds is fierce he will be unlikely to hold these.numbers for long.

A rutting stag will not suffer any other males in the herd , other than that years calves,males of the previous year are evicted from the herd, where they will hang about on the fringes of the group, sometimes tempted to sneak back in, only to be driven back out again by the stag , one can't help but feel for these sorry looking individuals, as it is more than likely the first time they have been away from their mothers and the rest of the herd, however that will be their lot for the extent of the rut.

Young stags may also hang about the vicinity of the group, feeling the awakening of desire,but unable to do anything but look on longingly , again to be driven roughly off by the stag should they have the audacity to get to close.

This constant chasing of youngsters , and that of more serious mature rivals, this expending of energy constantly chasing off rivals real or imagined plus the fact that he will virtually stop eating
    during the rut resulting in up to a 20% loss in body weight, means that few stags can hold their position for the duration of the rut, and sometimes a group of hinds will have several masters during the rutting period.

If he has not been ousted by a stronger stag,after around three weeks of rutting activity he will usually have had enough and can be found heading of to the wintering ground.

By the end of October most of the mature stags that have been holding hinds will have gone.

Some rutting will still take place between those eager young onlookers who have spent the last weeks on the fringes of the herd and any hinds that have been late in coming into season.

The odd roar from a youngster can be heard throughout November and even into December but on the whole peace has returned to the glen.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 23-09-2014 at 13:12.

My goodness, you really do have a wonderful way of writing, and making me feel as if I'm there.
    Please send it to to Shooting Times to get something published, a really nice read.

Great write up & a pleasure to read.ATB

A great synopsis of the red rut!

Very well written!

....am off past Tongue at Northern tip of Scotland in 10 days for a) first time in that part of the country and b) hopeful first Red... your write up got me very excited...thank u. I think I am having some strange manifestation of Buck Fever!
    All the Best
    C.

Yet again, a most enjoyable read, thanks mr bogtrotter

Quote Originally Posted by Casual-T View Post
    ....am off past Tongue at Northern tip of Scotland in 10 days for a) first time in that part of the country and b) hopeful first Red... your write up got me very excited...thank u. I think I am having some strange manifestation of Buck Fever!
    All the Best
    C.
    C. I hope you bump into a stag like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Deer/Stag.jpg Good luck. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 24-09-2014 at 19:02.

A nice read and some really useful insight to highland deer activity to those of us not lucky enough to have enjoyed the spectacle. Yet!

I don't know whether to praise you or curse you. Well written, but causing me great anxiety. In about 16 days I board a flight and head over for my first time in the highlands, and stalking for red and sika.