Wow!

I've been lucky enough to fly in one of those, and take the controls a few times. They make it look easy. I can't imagine trying to shoot a moving target from one!

have a look on you tube for 'deer wars'

shootgun it's not stalking for them it's simple pest control just like rabbits with you lads

[...] while still alive....

I didn't see anything "still alive", though "still twitching" would fit the bill. With limited fuel on the whirlybird it's hardly practical to hang around to give a beast the last rites. My main concern with him taking his knife to the beast while it was still twitching was that it would kick the blade back into his thigh... and the bit where the helo is strimming the slope with its rotors as it comes in to the pick-up had me wincing right up to the moment it flared to let the chap back on without slicing and dicing him first.

Anyway, afterwards I went back to darning my socks with an altogether jauntier air.

Could anyone see what he was shooting with? Some sort of shotgun? Buck shot or slugs?

There's an ice cream tub with some kind of shotgun fodder in it sitting on the floor of the wocka-wocka, so I'd hazard a guess at a 12g semi-auto with extended mag feeding slugs.

The videos I had of NZ helichopper red deer and goat eradication from the '90s seemed to favour .223 AR15 semi autos though.

Back