Wipeable wall surfaces in larders?

Adamant

I'm just in the process of setting up my larder properly, with a view to registering as an FBO - small scale, only processing my own deer etc. I'm following the relevant hygiene guidance in terms of layout (in fur / skinned areas, potable hot/cold water) but I wondered what I might put on the walls to provide an impermeable and wipeable surface?

Stainless steel sheet would be nice but I'd have to sell the house. I've looked at various types of plastic sheet but I'd need 15+ sheets and the cost is getting pretty high. Given that the interior of the building is lined with marine ply, is there any reason I couldn't give everything a couple of coats of commercial-grade white gloss paint and just use white plastic polypropylene sheets for key food prep' areas? All joints will be sealed with silicone.

The flooring is concrete in the intake / wet area and will be commercial non-slip flooring over marine ply in the other area. I know that I need to speak to my local Council but I'm just wondering aloud, trying to estimate a budget.

Does anyone have any practical experience to share?

Thanks,

Adam.

Your requirements for impervious surfaces are for tables and work surfaces only ,not walls theres nothing to stop you painting the walls as you have suggested ,theres also tiling you can pick up bog standard white tiles for pennies ,for your floor buy commercial floor paint the non slip type stay away from wooden floors unless there covered with a seamless sheet covering ,flooring paint won't cut it there.

Speak to the council first, no point wasting money, mine were very helpful and i was going to more expense/trouble than was necessary.
Cheers
Richard

Your requirements for impervious surfaces are for tables and work surfaces only ,not walls theres nothing to stop you painting the walls as you have suggested ,theres also tiling you can pick up bog standard white tiles for pennies ,for your floor buy commercial floor paint the non slip type stay away from wooden floors unless there covered with a seamless sheet covering ,flooring paint won't cut it there.

All of my work surfaces are stainless steel, so that's OK. The floor is concrete in the chiller and skinning area, so I'll just paint that with commercial flooring paint in light grey. I've sorted a deal on getting some Hydaslip commercial flooring fitted everywhere else, via a mate that does hospital floors - if it's good enough for Emegency Ward 10 then it should be OK for an FBO.

Wipeable gloss paint on the walls is good news - even Dairy Cladding was looking fairly pricey. I think everything else is covered - drainage, lighting, vermin proofing (window mesh / chain curtain / UV zapper), prep'd food fridge, chiller thermometers, handwashing, sterilisation etc etc.

By the way, does anyone want to buy a 10'x6' self-contained single-phase chiller / cold store? A mate in Ireland is selling one for 500 euros (one of a job lot of five he bought from a psychiatric hospital - kitchen use rather than mortuary!).

Sikadog - PM inbound!

Adam.

Looks like you got it all covered , the floors walls and surfaces are a big thing with them the preparation areas are another .

Ask them to visit you telling them that there visit is a interim visit before you ask them for license to produce what ever .

If they ask if your doing any cooked meats say no this brings a different set of rules and regulations which are a nightmare unless you have a separate preparation area.

further info walls you can return the floor covering up the wall to give a imprevious finish you see this in many areas that are used as wet areas making for an easy wipe down .

Last edited:
Adam

You can always go for shower cladding - I just have the basic white and it's waterproof and wipeable. Here's my larder (remember it's just for personal, not commercial, use):

Larder2.jpg

If I did it again I'd do the cladding full height.

willie_gunn

Adam

You can always go for shower cladding - I just have the basic white and it's waterproof and wipeable. Here's my larder (remember it's just for personal, not commercial, use):

Larder2.jpg

If I did it again I'd do the cladding full height.

willie_gunn

Where and how much was the cladding?

Hi

The cladding was bought by the builder we had do all the work - it's nothing fancy, just bog-standard, white shower cladding.

He also installed the RSJ, plumbing and drainage in the larder and laid the granolithic floor.

willie_gunn

Back