Thread: SCI world record

SCI world record

Just seem this on another forum. Apparently this was raised in a pen, selectively bred, given additives in it's food and then released for long enough to be counted as an 'estate' deer.
    New SCI World Record! | Hunt Forever

Seems just a tad underhand t me.

And they couldnt even wait for it to come out of velvet!

Great int it!

I've never understood the canned hunt concept , it just bothers me .

AB

One if the least favourable bits for me is that it makes hunters look bad. This is what anti's use against us.

What is worse is that these types of hunts tend to happen in America and Africa, which gives the impression that all hunting in these countries is canned in this way.
    When we all know that 99% of American and African hunters, including foreign sporting hunters, view it with destain.

My favourite hunting quote sums it up:
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."
    Jose Ortega y Gasset

For me canned hunts have no appeal at all but I have no problem with anyone who decides it's for them. The deer still have to be culled and if someone wants to pay to do it then why not! My biggest problem is that the SCI will measure and record them and the congratulatory comments for the hunter in shooting such an outsized head. Surely the hunter did very little in terms of using hunting craft and skill, he just got his wallet out.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Just seem this on another forum. Apparently this was raised in a pen, selectively bred, given additives in it's food and then released for long enough to be counted as an 'estate' deer.
    New SCI World Record! | Hunt Forever

Seems just a tad underhand t me.
    Do you happen to know what the 'additives' were just out of interest?

These things happen in Europe to, there was a "world record" red shot a couple of years ago. Turned out the poor beast had a name. Some euro trash paid a fortune to shoot it.

I would personally ban all record books, medals etc. I just find it distasteful.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 25-09-2014 at 19:04.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    These things happen in Europe to, there was a "world record" red shot a couple of years ago. Turned out the poor beast had a name. Some euro trash paid a fortune to shoot it.

I would personally ban all record books, medals etc. I just find it distasteful.
    To be honest , my most memorable hunts had nothing to do with horn size . It's always been the quality of the hunt itself , the location and the company that define a memorable trip for me . I admire an impressive animal as much as anyone , but these hunts just don't do it for me . If owning a record book wrack blows your hair back , that's fine , fill your boots . But I place more value on an animal that put up a hard hunt , even with a average head ,than I would on the deer taken in the above article , but that's just me .

AB