Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to safely carry a break-barrel rifle in the field?

How to safely carry a break-barrel rifle in the field?

Hello everyone!

As my project to acquire a drilling moves on, I find myself wondering how best to carry the thing safely when stalking. My first reaction was to think that it's just the same as a shotgun pretty much, and to carry it open until you're actually onto a deer. But then I thought that the "clunk" of closing it may alert said deer to your presence, which is why in woodland stalking we carry bolt-actions loaded with the safety on and the muzzle pointing up or down. Only the newer break-barrel rifles have manual cocking for the rifle barrel, and I don't believe that shotgun-style safeties actually block the strikers as they do on bolt actions often.

The thing that occurs to me on a combination gun is that if you only load the rifle barrel, and select the shotgun barrels, then put on the safety, then even if the gun did go off because of a jolt or something, you'd just be firing the empty chambers.

Anyway, how to you carry yours?

Other than full muzzle awareness at all times I can't help but does not such an approach bring into question the point of a combination gun if you are only going to load one chamber?

When would you have all rifle and shotgun chambers ready to discharge ?

K

Well in my case, the drilling is more likely to be a travel gun. If I'm off on a weekend where there could be stalking and small game, then it's cumbersome to carry two guns with you. So there'd always be a primary reason to be out: stalking, or small game, with the gun loaded appropriately. But given a few seconds, you could switch.

hold the locking bolts ,top lever -side lever close the breech and let the bolts slip into place, not like slamming a gate

I carry mine like a shotgun and don't worry about the noise of closing them. As Bruce w says above it can be accomplished reasonably quietly.

Good point, I've done that with a shotgun now that I think of it. So do you even have a sling on yours? You probably would for when you need your hands free.

Carry mine broken over my shoulder. Hate slings on them but obviously they have their advantages.

I carry my combi loaded, over the shoulder with a sling. When hunting roe with the dog i always have a shotgun cartridge with #1s loaded as well. I don't see a combi or drilling as any more dangerous to carry loaded than any of my other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well in my case, the drilling is more likely to be a travel gun. If I'm off on a weekend where there could be stalking and small game, then it's cumbersome to carry two guns with you. So there'd always be a primary reason to be out: stalking, or small game, with the gun loaded appropriately. But given a few seconds, you could switch.
    Understood.

You’ll be needing one of those highly engineered and expensive claw mount thingies with matching rail equipped scope then. Plus a custom handsewen leather tube with sling to carry it when swapping from chevreuil to capercailzie.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Understood.

You’ll be needing one of those highly engineered and expensive claw mount thingies with matching rail equipped scope then. Plus a custom handsewen leather tube with sling to carry it when swapping from chevreuil to capercailzie.

K
    Yes, in my criteria for used drillings, I do have that it must be equipped with swing off of claw mounts ("Suhler Einhackmontage" or SEHM in eGun.de parlance) and a scope. Realistically, at my price point, we're looking at SEHM, but that's fine. I think that to start with, a neoprene case for the scope would do fine, but obviously as we move along, I'll be commissioning some accessories from some of the skilled people on this site. Like an ammunition walled for 7x57R on one side and 16b on the other, something like that.