Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: otters

otters

I got involved in a conversation about otters being reintroduced into our rivers up and down the country which seems to be kept real quiet that nobody new it was happening or happened until theyve been seen,wonder why , what made me write this is i was also told none have been released into salmon rivers.wonder how true this Is.....?

Otters are all over now. Fisheries around here are being ruined because of them. Bad idea to re introduce them. Same with mink.

I have hunted and trapped them here in the US. Bewitching creatures, not bloodthirsty, but some of the most efficient predators in nature. Let them find a pond they like and they will clean it out quickly.

When end they hunt, it is usually as a family unit of 2-5. They will drive fish to one end or another and then begin killing. In one instance I watching them hunt for an hour, then leave after having gorged. For two days after the wounded fish floated to the surface.

Saw Otters on the Ericht plus a few part eaten Salmon.

Otters are on all our burns and waterways up here and although their numbers dropped for a few years we never fail to see them year in,year out.Great to watch and dont grudge them the odd fush.

Same see them up and down the ditches in the forestry one of scotlands most beautiful animals
    Last edited by 6pointer; 25-09-2014 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by dan71 View Post
    Otters are all over now. Fisheries around here are being ruined because of them. Bad idea to re introduce them. Same with mink.
    Dont think they ever went away. I used to see otters fairly regularly on the river cart near Glasgow in the 80s. No doubt they have been given a helping hand to re establish in certain areas. Personally I like to see them but can understand the frustration of fishery owners that lose large amounts of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I got involved in a conversation about otters being reintroduced into our rivers up and down the country which seems to be kept real quiet that nobody new it was happening or happened until theyve been seen,wonder why , what made me write this is i was also told none have been released into salmon rivers.wonder how true this Is.....?
    No captive bred otters should have been released into the wild for over 20 years.

Wild otters that are injured/orphaned/abandoned that can be successfully rehabbed and released are, as a rule released as close to the area they were found as possible.

I will happily stick my head above the parapet and say that we rehab approx 20 otters a year, 95% being young (under 10 weeks). These otters are usually handed into the RSPCA from all over the U.K and are then passed to us. We do whatever is necessary and grow them on to 9-12 months old. They have their final health check then are passed back to the RSPCA for release into their original environment. The RSPCA are anal about this. I do not have the resources or time to conduct the releases.

What needs to be understood is that for there to be a release there needs to be willing land and river owners. The otters are not just turfed out of a box and left to it. A release enclose is constructed and a soft release takes place. This can take anything up to 6 weeks. The land/river owner is vital in this process because they help with the feeding of the still captive animal.

It may be of some surprise that I know of several releases that have happened (with everyones consent) on some of the UKs finest salmon and trout rivers.

I can only comment on the rehab release program they we undertake. I am very aware that more localised 'Animal Rescue' centres may (and do) operate differently.

Regards

Ed

I have seen an otter on the nith seconds before connecting with a nice sea trout.

Otters are reappearing throughout the fens and to the delight of most people. I have however heard that some local still water fisheries, stocked with larger (and very expensive) carp, have suffered some serious damage.