Thread: Flying with firearms.

Angry Flying with firearms.

Anyone any tips on taking a rifle & ammunition across EU borders.
    After hours of phone calls to Flybe and KLM (UK into Amsterdam and then on to Norway) the costs were racking up and the paperwork was getting stupid.
    I could see that there was a real risk that i'd get to check in and some jobsworth would claim that the documents were not correct - would you expect some teenage check in tart to actually know what she was looking at?
    For the sake of ensuring that I make it for the start of the moose season I've told my mate that i'll use his rifle but would have loved to have my own with me.
    Have others on the forum found the same?

easyjet managed to lose my rifle ! total muppets , I actually think the arab guy that checked it in did it on purpose because he lied about it all when I made a complaint ! the upshot was they had to fly it to Glasgow (when they found it) and I had to drive a 400mile round trip to fetch it with no compensation of any sort ! neither the police or the aviation authority were interested in fact nobody was interested !

I now record all conversations with airline staff when dealing with my firearms and photo and record everything , they wont shaft me again !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I don't believe Flybe actually carry firearms, Ryan Air certainly don't.

Easyjet have generally been very reliable for me, but check in is a total pain in the arse. Aer Lingus are great. Problem is that if you need to take more than one flight to get to your destination, costs really rack up.

Truth be told, it is getting to be more trouble than it is worth to fly via the English airports. Ireland and most of Europe are a breeze compared to Luton or Gatwick.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    easyjet managed to lose my rifle ! total muppets , I actually think the arab guy that checked it in did it on purpose because he lied about it all when I made a complaint ! the upshot was they had to fly it to Glasgow (when they found it) and I had to drive a 400mile round trip to fetch it with no compensation of any sort ! neither the police or the aviation authority were interested in fact nobody was interested!
    I doubt that the guy lost your rifle on purpose, I expect he was lying to try and avoid a rollicking. That said, I find it extraordinary that having mislaid your luggage, they didn't then return it to you. Surely they have a duty to reunite you with your luggage? I have had Ryanair leave my luggage behind before and then send a bloke on a moped to bring it to me the next day. You shouldn't have to drive 400m to make up for their mistake.

my recent experience taking a rifle from heathrow to OR Tambo was a breeze but i did get the impression that they are used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I doubt that the guy lost your rifle on purpose, I expect he was lying to try and avoid a rollicking. That said, I find it extraordinary that having mislaid your luggage, they didn't then return it to you. Surely they have a duty to reunite you with your luggage? I have had Ryanair leave my luggage behind before and then send a bloke on a moped to bring it to me the next day. You shouldn't have to drive 400m to make up for their mistake.
    I wasn't going to be there the day after when they claimed they could have got my rifle to me and I'd have missed my pre-paid sport , I didn't mind too much, baggage gets mislaid and it turns out my rifle didn't get on the plane (still think the guy did it on purpose ) I do however think easyjet should have at least reimbursed my fuel at least then I would have felt they met me half way for my inconvenience?

considering the aggravation you have to endure and the money extra you pay , I would have thought a little more care would have been taken with a firearm?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Fly Norwegian from Gatwick. Extra papperwork if your rifle do's a transfer in Holland if i recall.