Montana Deer/Elk hunt costings

Hi Chaps,

I have been asked this on more than one occasion, so the approx costings (excluding fluctuating exchange rate and additional equipment purchased) to fly from the UK to Montana and complete a big game hunt, self guided:
Air fare £900 including extra bag for rifle (Delta, as BA wanted to rip me off with an 'inspection of rifle')
Car hire for 2 weeks £332 Alamo intermediate SUV (Rav 4 or equivalent)
First and last night in hotel £98 (remainder of the time i will be sleeping in the car or camping out, unless it drops to -23c like it did last time!)
Big game tag £600
Insurance £111
ESTA £9

Of course on top of this is spending money, fuel and food which are personal things, so excluding that the approx total cost is:
£2050

Any questions please feel free to ask, all except where i will be hunting, you can do your own research on that one!:D

Cheers

Richard

Interesting.

I actually have calculated about the same cost to fly over to the Highlands from here and stalk Red Stag and Sika. As a matter of fact, even with a brother living in Colorado, I calculated a Western Elk/Deer hunt to be slightly higher, partly due to the fuel costs of driving my big 4WD Ford out, towing a trailer and quad, and additional hotel nights.

Can I come and carry your bags,or drive the Rav 4

Have a great time,very jealous.
Thanks, it will make a change for carrying yours!

Do you need to buy an out of state/country permit?
Tusker
That is what the 'tag' is, you apply in the spring and then you a drawn, or not, however since the tag prices went up they have not been over subscribed in recent times.

Interesting.

I actually have calculated about the same cost to fly over to the Highlands from here and stalk Red Stag and Sika. As a matter of fact, even with a brother living in Colorado, I calculated a Western Elk/Deer hunt to be slightly higher, partly due to the fuel costs of driving my big 4WD Ford out, towing a trailer and quad, and additional hotel nights.
Yes i can believe that, instead of a tag you pay a pro-stalker, which is fair enough, as i said i haven't included fuel, although i have an idea based on my mileage last time i came over.
BTW, Colorado is a stunning state, fished there but never hunted, my wife had a terrible time however, she couldn't cope with the elevation.

Cheers

Richard

Hi I think that unfortunately it needs to be guided if you are non-resident alien? Unless its on private land. When I have travelled to Montana I have found it cheaper to fly to Calgery non-stop then drive across the border, means you don't need to fill the ESTA form either!

Matt

Don't forget to add the extra cost of buying another suitcase/bag/holdall to put all your hunting/clothing and any other useful items you can't resist buying out there. LOL
Have a great trip
ATB

Self guided can be done.
Colorado has excellent online maps guidance etc,
and with satellite photos topogaphy you can get to know the terrain
pretty well ( better than most of the locals)
I prefer bow season, less crowded and safer.

You have to assume you are not going to kill an elk.
as you need to be able to recover and utilise all that meat.
no game dealers... you need to plan some sort of donation.

so you do really need to be with friends, a bigger party of hunters or a guide.

if you live at sea level at home then it does take some days to acclimatise
to 9,000ft.

lots of serious game laws and regs over there too..lot of research necessary

an adventure, good fun and exciting , but cheaper and more succesful in Scotland.

Hi I think that unfortunately it needs to be guided if you are non-resident alien? Unless its on private land. When I have travelled to Montana I have found it cheaper to fly to Calgery non-stop then drive across the border, means you don't need to fill the ESTA form either!

Matt
Sorry Matt that is incorrect, you can hunt on your own on public land, or private if you get permission, i failed to mention that this is my second attempt, got a Mule deer last time but failed to find an elk, too many wolves and griz where i hunted last time, changed my area this time.

Don't forget to add the extra cost of buying another suitcase/bag/holdall to put all your hunting/clothing and any other useful items you can't resist buying out there. LOL
Have a great trip
ATB
Thanks, BTW hunting right up against the Idaho border this time, maybe bump into some one you know?!

Self guided can be done.
Colorado has excellent online maps guidance etc,
and with satellite photos topogaphy you can get to know the terrain
pretty well ( better than most of the locals)
I prefer bow season, less crowded and safer.

You have to assume you are not going to kill an elk.
as you need to be able to recover and utilise all that meat.
no game dealers... you need to plan some sort of donation.

so you do really need to be with friends, a bigger party of hunters or a guide.

if you live at sea level at home then it does take some days to acclimatise
to 9,000ft.

lots of serious game laws and regs over there too..lot of research necessary

an adventure, good fun and exciting , but cheaper and more succesful in Scotland.
Thanks, i donated the meat to a food bank last time, i agree the regs are a nightmare but i think i have it sussed.
I have a great GPS and i will load this chip on it SD Chip vs Download

Cheers

Richard

Who do you get permission from... i'd luv to do similar! Are you going to the 'Bob'...
It's very doable Matt, i won't bother asking for permission this time, i will concentrate on the public area's, although not the 'Bob' bit too remote for me, horses would be an advantage.
Last time on the deer hunt we drove past a farm with a sign outside saying 'all hunters welcome, come in!' but it was pretty well shot out, so we drove down the road, saw a very pretty farmers wife clearing her roof gutters of leaves, we stopped to offer our help, she declined but invited us onto her land to shot some deer, but she said 'don't shoot the trophy whitetail deer in that valley as my 14 year old daughter wants to!' love it!

I like u have a love affair with Montana, I've visited 6 times the last 15 years, love to know more about hunting there as i always thought it was impractical.
Matt

Matt
Still costs you 6 bucks for the I94 at the border crossing. Did it from Mexico in 2012.
Go pay your respects to Elmer Keiths grave or just camp out at Devils Tower for a couple of nights (awesome)
Martin

Back