Thread: Nm800

Nm800

Is anyone using the covert IR chip? I am wondering what the power reduction is over the non covert IR chip.
    I have been having problems with the non covert spooking some foxes.

covert is a 940nm IR std is 850 nm IR

940nm is approx 25% the light output compared the the 850 at the same 1amp also digital cameras 850nm is their optimum wavelength for pick up

it only makes the cigarette red glow you get in the torch less visible from an animals POV they cant seethe beam in either

I use a 940nm IR in my T20 set up and have a x3 magnifying (so better than the Nm800 equiv to t20 x2)head on it im happy out to 150yrds ish on 10-20 mag

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    covert is a 940nm IR std is 850 nm IR

940nm is approx 25% the light output compared the the 850 at the same 1amp also digital cameras 850nm is their optimum wavelength for pick up

it only makes the cigarette red glow you get in the torch less visible from an animals POV they cant seethe beam in either

I use a 940nm IR in my T20 set up and have a x3 magnifying (so better than the Nm800 equiv to t20 x2)head on it im happy out to 150yrds ish on 10-20 mag
    Thanks for the info, using mine in conjunction with an N550. It's good out to 300yrds to take a shot and good out to 500 for spotting depending on conditions. Just trying to find out what kind of distance the covert would be good for. The standard IR doesn't spook every fox and is far better than the lamp I think it's just the very lamp shy of which there are quite a few around me.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Man View Post
    Thanks for the info, using mine in conjunction with an N550. It's good out to 300yrds to take a shot and good out to 500 for spotting depending on conditions. Just trying to find out what kind of distance the covert would be good for. The standard IR doesn't spook every fox and is far better than the lamp I think it's just the very lamp shy of which there are quite a few around me.
    You may find if they're lamp shy they are seeing the glow from the 800 as it is quite a big dot once you have seen it - also the same when you hold it on them for an extended period. Smaller head or perhaps laser gives smaller footprint, still with same capability.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    You may find if they're lamp shy they are seeing the glow from the 800 as it is quite a big dot once you have seen it - also the same when you hold it on them for an extended period. Smaller head or perhaps laser gives smaller footprint, still with same capability.
    Cheers, prior to using the 800 I was using a lightforce 140 with a filter made out of a 3mm sheet of IR filter material, which worked great but a tad bulky you just got a faint glow which was only visible 3 meters from the lamp but through the pulsar it was like day light . Bought the NM800 which goes nicely on the rail of the N550 far less bulky but noticed some foxes look straight at it and there off. Don't want to invest in the covert chip if it drastically reduces the range of the lamp. I will just go back to the bulky option.