Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Afternoon outing with Robbo on the Roe Does

An Afternoon outing with Robbo on the Roe Does

Thursday saw me driving up through Lincolnshire to the Humber bridge in the rain and fog. On across into Yorkshire to meet up with Robbo for an afternoon/evening stalk on Roe Does. The weather was not coperating with the fog getting thicker but we went out to take a look around one of his bits of ground. Once there we noticed that a breeze was picking up so instead of going and sitting in a high seat John decided that we would go up onto some higher ground and stalk a copse that he knows holds a small group of Roe.

The breeze was fickle to say the least especially in the Hazel Copse we were slowly stalking through. Despite the very stoney soil and the multitude of fallen twigs and small branches we eventually made it right through the copse but without encountering any deer. We did however find several very fresh beds.

On reaching the end of the copse John took us down the hillside to the dell and as he started to peek out he suddenly held his hand up to warn me back. The breeze has become a wind once we were at the edge of the copse and was of course blowign past us towards the deer. We had stalked quietly enough through the copse to actually get past the deer. John glassed the group of four which consited of a nice buck, a younger Buck and two nice does. It seems unusally for johns ground it was ideal for a shot off the Bi-Pod so i brought the legs down and extended them and got prone and wiggled forwards so that my shoulders were clear of the scrub edge and I had a clear shot. I first found the Nice Buck and said to John "it's buck" to which he said further up the back on the left is the Doe so i moved the rifle and found her then had to wait for her to stop walkign slowly and when it was right I squeezed the tirgger and that's when it all went pear shaped .

Nope I didn't miss and I didn't make a bad shot the damned rifle refuse to fire. I squeezed the trigger to take up the first stage and there was no stages just the light sear spring pressure so I checked the safety again and noticed that the bolt handle had lifted slightly so pressed it down and tried again with the same result so I then quietly cycled the bolt extracting and ejecting the round and feeding another into the chamber and tired yet again and once more the bolt would not release the firing pin.

As I tried to figure out what was up as in all the years I have had this rifle it has never done this before. I must have moved and my foot caught a tin can in the scrub and that was enough as the Doe heard it and led them off up the bank and over the top to the ploughed field. Once they were gone we got up and John was as puzzled as I was. The chambered round was ejected and I held the remaining rounds down on the mag platform and closed the bolt on an empty chamber the released the trigger whilst holdign back on the cocking piece (The rifle is a Swedish M95 Mauser) and low and behold it released quite normally. Tried it again by cycling the bolt and yep it works fine. No matter what we tried we have been unable to replicate the problem.

So a good stalk ended up a bit frustrating. The drive home was shall we say "Interesting" with the fog and I missed my turn and did an extra 5 miles by coming home a different way and almost missed a 90 degree bend in the fog but made it home safely around 22:10.

I have already made a booking for the middle of April to return after Bucks .

That must have seemed a long drive home fella..

Will you be putting the rifle into a gunsmith with the querry?
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Went out with Robbo this morning. Rain driving down hard and a strong wind. Plan was to stalk a wood but on passing a beet field on the way saw 5 or 6 Roe about 325 metres away. Moved up the opposite side of a hedge to get closer to them, the rain lashing into us all the time. A quick peek through the hedge to see where they were and low and behold they were about to come through the hedge 150 metres away. Robbo put up the sticks for a kneeling shot and as soon as the first doe stopped I squeezed the trigger. Crack and a low miss. My spectacles are full of rain but my Swaro scope is still giving a good picture. Second shot and a thwack but no reaction. Looks as if I might have clipped it on the brisket but it was joined by another 7 Roe who all shuffled around trying to figure out what all the fuss was. We spent a good 20 minutes or more checking every deer but no sign of anything untoward. Robbo was constanly cursing as he tried to clean his binos of the constant driving rain. He had forgotten his gloves and his hands were freezing.

Eventually a Doe lay dow. I must have clipped her. The group were no skylined and showed no sign of any urgency to go anywhere. Robbo and I are soaked through and the sticks, and us, are sinking in the mud.

After what seemed an eternity the group moved off back in the direction they originally came from and we closed to about 100 metre to get a backstop. The doe is still laid down head onto us and the rain was such that visibility with all the water on specs & scope was heading toward zero. I tried a third shot at her neck but with the strong wind I missed.

******** to this I thought. I told Robbo I was gonna stand up and get her onto her feet to give a better target before we both drowned. Robbo was still cursing and trying to see clearly. I stand up and just then the rest of the group come back and join the doe. As soon as I had a clear shot I squeezed and down she went.
    Robbo was off like a lurcher to get to her. We picked her up and off to the field edge. Out with his knife and a speedy Gralloch so Robbo could get his frozen hands into the steaming entrails to thaw them out. Bliss.

Back to the vehicle and all in all 1 hour from Robbo's house to carcass in the tray.

Do you want to go after another asks Robbo? No, I prefer stalking, not swimming.....

Swaro scope and Zeiss binos shed the rain well but Robbo's Leicas need some water repellant on the glass. We both need to think about treating our specs when shooting in rain.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    That must have seemed a long drive home fella..

Will you be putting the rifle into a gunsmith with the querry?
    Ahhhh no as most "gunsmiths" don't seem to know much about old Mausers. I stripped it down today and have been examining the choices for a replacement adjustable trigger and will be making enquiries about them and possibly a replacement bolt shroud with a different safety. Failing that a low safety will be fitted.

Ahhh so smullery it was you who were stalking with Robbo this morning. Well he got his wish as he was telling me last night he wanted some rain to clear off the fog and mist and well he got it alright and a breeze although I'll bet it was more than a breeze as it's blowing damned near a gale down here.

Oh good work on the Roe we only saw the four all afternoon but visabilty was very poor I also have problems with the specs gettign wet or steaming up in the cold when down on the rifle . Oh well these things are sent to try us .

You dont look to wet here stan.
    the camera never lies ....YEH right.

I keep saying ive seen it all but thats another first brit hunter.
    pleased to see you got home safe.
    and see you soon.
    bring some better luck and weather next time.
    I'll be more careful what i wish for LOL

Old guns are like old cars.
    Pretty conversation pieces but unreliable. I have restored too many to own a classic car and your tale only proves that technology and CNC machining make a mockery out of "old school" in some circumstances.

A plastic tikka T3 would have had the venison on the table Hey ho.

I have been up the hill on stags with a trigger lock on the rifle and the key in the car so i am not a judge nor a jury

There is always next time.

the one thing i like best about this thread is the honesty in the postings
    who else would post about 4 shots at one deer or rifle jamming up at the crucial moment
    breath of fresh air guys from those experts that never miss or ever feck up
    cheers guys loved the read as it brings back the reality of stalking/shooting that i hav been part of all my life
    look forward to reading more true to life adventures
    ATB

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    the one thing i like best about this thread is the honesty in the postings
    who else would post about 4 shots at one deer or rifle jamming up at the crucial moment
    breath of fresh air guys from those experts that never miss or ever feck up
    cheers guys loved the read as it brings back the reality of stalking/shooting that i hav been part of all my life
    look forward to reading more true to life adventures
    ATB
    some one who sees life as it is.
    we all respect our quarry and do our best, hind sight is a great gift we are all blessed with.
    trouble is there are to many judges out there who never **** up or make a bad choice. oh yeh (or they aint shot much) one or the other.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    Old guns are like old cars.
    Pretty conversation pieces but unreliable. I have restored too many to own a classic car and your tale only proves that technology and CNC machining make a mockery out of "old school" in some circumstances.

A plastic tikka T3 would have had the venison on the table Hey ho.

I have been up the hill on stags with a trigger lock on the rifle and the key in the car so i am not a judge nor a jury

There is always next time.
    Hmmm well I have had this rifle for a long time and have never had anything like this before. I would rather trust one of these than a lot of the new stuff but then again I don't have New Modern stuff. Sold my last one really just before Christmas. My last Phoh-Phah if you like was arriving at the stalking rifle and ammo but they didn't match and that was a few years ago now. I was sooooooooo mad with myself and 100 miles from home too.

Oh well I will blood the Moderator another day meanwhile I have until the middle of April to decide on what to take and am thinking of taking the 30-06 off and putting a .308 on. The .308 has proven to be very accurate and I have just put a 3-9x40 Nikon scope on it but that is not moderated and I am not used to hills living on the flat here so lighter will probably be better . Oh the Carl Gustav mauser action was made between 1903-1905 according the the inspectors stamp by the serial number. The reciever ring was scrubbed as per US law with it was converted and the new barrel fitted.

Oh I will try to talk to Norman Clark about it as I remmebred it wa she who replaced the bolt handle on it for me and he might be familar with the Mauser M95 .

Now Robbo,

Hopefully April will be a nice month with not too much rain and no snow . I have just been watching your DVD between swabbing the barrel of the 6.5mm. Although I didn't shoot it with you it had been fired that morning and the Sunday before and as you know it was a triffle damp out so a bore cleaning was in order to make sure it's not quietly rusting . Cannot make Newark until Sunday as the Old Dragon indoors has informed me she is out tomorrow for a while which means I am Dad and dog sitting.