Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing? Mr Crabtree or Robson Green?

Fishing? Mr Crabtree or Robson Green?

Being of a certain age i am disgusted in todays fishing TV where folk like RG who can't fish and get flown all over the world to catch easy fish which kids must see as the way to fish. I was taught with cheap kit and knowledge of the water and fish feeding and migrating conditions. I was mentored by oldies that knew the water and some could hardly see to tie a fly on.
    Fishing has become a numbers game portrayed by duffers on TV.

But who wouldn’t wish to be in RG's waders??

Cracking job if you ask me!

Extreme Fishing doesn't purport to show anyone how to fish, it's entertainment and as such, it works very well. I know people who have never been fishing who love it, and that's mostly just down to Robson himself. It also doesn't just feature trawling for marlin and the like, there being episodes where he's just trying to net a shrimp, and just as happy to do so which I can relate to.

There was a Mr Crabtree TV series a year or two ago and it was frankly pretty bad. For fifteen minutes he'd be teaching a child how to fish, and then there'd be a 15 minute montage of landing fish of ever growing size, which I think we can agree isn't really showing it as it is.

And yes K, you have to admire a man who only appears to have gone into acting or novelty singing acts to be able to pay for his fishing!

awk i have to say i do enjoy RG's shows just for his crap patter and a laugh when he looses a monster but this show is not aimed at being an informative fishing show the likes of total fishing and carp squad and all the other serious angling programs on discovery shed etc with helpful tips and what not. This is purely made for entertainment, trying to bring fishing into the mainstream, my other half will sit and watch Rg as she enjoys it and finds it amusing, i couldnt see her sitting down watching matt hayes with the same enthusiasim lol.

It reminds me of top gear - in the olf days it was few old guys giving good tests on affordable cars for the intentions of being an informative program but now its just spiralled into a entertainment program which just happens to feature cars (usually unaffordable & doing silly things lol)

Its a pity that RG is such a crap angler if he was half decent then there would be more caught. There has only ever been one brilliant angling programme and that was a Passion for Angling. Two of the most knowledgable anglers and brilliant cameraman. I rediscovered my VHS tapes earlier this year and the programme on the Spey has some stunning filming, lovely bit on a roe buck and the bird life is exceptional.

Sadly once again a thing of the past.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Extreme Fishing doesn't purport to show anyone how to fish, it's entertainment and as such, it works very well. I know people who have never been fishing who love it, and that's mostly just down to Robson himself. It also doesn't just feature trawling for marlin and the like, there being episodes where he's just trying to net a shrimp, and just as happy to do so which I can relate to.

There was a Mr Crabtree TV series a year or two ago and it was frankly pretty bad. For fifteen minutes he'd be teaching a child how to fish, and then there'd be a 15 minute montage of landing fish of ever growing size, which I think we can agree isn't really showing it as it is.

And yes K, you have to admire a man who only appears to have gone into acting or novelty singing acts to be able to pay for his fishing!
    True. Even my wife enjoys it and daughter too if we can wrestle the Top Gear remote button from her.

K

My missus loves RG`s show, and has never fished.

Personally I think he is ace. Contagious excitement

RG embodies one of my pet hates, a jealous angler. I appreciate that they are all to common, but the crap he comes out with and the competitive edge he adds to what should be some special fishing opportunities really grates on me.

Novice

RG is a complete #rse and ruins what could have been a good show in great locations.
    In one episode he jumped right over his caught and beached salmon to give the bemused guide a cuddle.

How about a fishing / cooking show with Nigella Lawson?.
    Now that I could watch.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Rg is a complete c::k! a passion for angling was like a gr8 malt left you with a warm glow !
    norma