Moderator Whistling

Bez

Anyone had an issue with there moderator whistling in the wind?

its getting right on my nerves now, it's an Atec maxim with no cover on.

does anyone have an innovative way to remedy this?

Another good reason to put some tape over the muzzle.....to prevent plugging..

Well in 40 + years Stalking on a weekly basis I've never plugged a Rifle barrel as you put it and Never taped it. As stated I carry my Rifle pointing down and forward holding the Moderator. But if you're way works for you That's fine .

I haven't taped since I started using a moderator; this week whilst crawling under some fallen pine trees I managed to ram the end of a small branch down the end of the mod & I only felt it as the branch snapped as I moved forward. Glad I knew it was there & will be taping from now on. It might not stop this happening again but it would at least give a visual indicator that something was amiss. It is surprisingly difficult to remove bits of crushed & broken wood from a sealed unit mod!

Well in 40 + years Stalking on a weekly basis I've never plugged a Rifle barrel as you put it and Never taped it. As stated I carry my Rifle pointing down and forward holding the Moderator. But if you're way works for you That's fine .

didnt mean to be offensive,I hope the next fourty years are as successful for you:tiphat:

no but i once had one sing me a nice little ditty :rofl:, ,,, sorry :oops: i use electric tape blows off and stops unwanted bit from getting in.

May be a daft question but is there no issue firing the rifle without taking the tape off?
Do you chaps mean scotch tape? As in plastic insulation tape?

May be a daft question but is there no issue firing the rifle without taking the tape off?

insulation tape,yes........no problem with shot as the plug of gas in front of the bullet pushes the tape away before the bullet gets anywhere near it.....

It's a good point albeit we are not looking at a pressure issue but rather how it MAY affect accuracy.

Next time at the range I'll shoot two 5-shot groups. With and without clingfilm. I personally wouldn't use sparks tape.

I only wrap in clingfilm to stop ingress of water as a half-full with water barrel can't do much for accuracy of pressure. Most rifles won't however have a watertight neck to chamber seal, so lots of water passing through to action which is what you want.

Maybe another in-the-field disadvantage of an action with match chamber tolerances??

K

It's a good point albeit we are not looking at a pressure issue but rather how it MAY affect accuracy.

Next time at the range I'll shoot two 5-shot groups. With and without clingfilm. I personally wouldn't use sparks tape.

I only wrap in clingfilm to stop ingress of water as a half-full with water barrel can't do much for accuracy of pressure. Most rifles won't however have a watertight neck to chamber seal, so lots of water passing through to action which is what you want.

Maybe another in-the-field disadvantage of an action with match chamber tolerances??

K

That would be interesting to find out.

I have played with electrical tape on various calibers and found that I can use it with no change on my .243 and above but don't use it on .22 centre fires or below as for some reason the accuracy dropped off. As for pressure issues I only use a patch to cover the muzzle and not a large piece stuck down the sides. I hope this helps

This thread inspired me to blow across the top of my mod like you would a bottle. Couldn't get it to whistle.

I shall write to Ase - they can add this to their promotional literature. Other moderator manufacturers wishing for my expert testing services are most welcome to send me theirs to test.

Last edited:
I fully understand why some would runaway from electric tape ! but in 30 plus years never had a poi changed by it ! remember its only a patch not a full wrap up, also used target black patches and condoms but did't like the ribbed banana ones as it attracted wasps!!!:rofl: ps i have also fired a rifle's in inside sealed heavy plastic bags also without the loss of poi. pistols from inside rubber tubing apart from a funny sound i still hit what i wanted to.

Back