Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degreasing a rifle barrel?

Degreasing a rifle barrel?

After cleaning a barrel the first shot can be off. Who degreases his barrel before use? Would a fast clean with a wool brush and some petrol do it? Is this safe for the metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    After cleaning a barrel the first shot can be off. Who degreases his barrel before use? Would a fast clean with a wool brush and some petrol do it? Is this safe for the metal?
    Don't. Dry patch the barrel and shoot. This constant over cleaning does more to harm accuracy than the cold-clean-bore syndrome. WHEN I clean my rifles I take a patch and put on two drops of Break Free. Once down and toss, follow with a few dry patches. Never a first shot off far enough to blame on the 'cleaning'. ~Muir

I too dry-patch my rifle, but as it definitely puts my 1st shot off I use a moderator to fire a fouling shot, then all is ok.

I've always been a non cleaner.

Shotguns : a good spray with WD 40 in and outside the barrel / action , then I put it barrels down overnight on an old newspaper. One serious clean after the season. Never had any problems.

Rifle: 1 decent clean a year. Same principle a good spray of WD 40 in the barrel, overnight upside down ,brush , finished. Always been fine.

A friend,experienced rifle shooter, advises me to clean fast calibres ( 243/270/....) every time after shooting. So ?????
    Last edited by Hales Smut; 27-09-2014 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I've always been a non cleaner.

Shotguns : a good spray with WD 40 in and outside the barrel / action , then I put it barrels down overnight on an old newspaper. One serious clean after the season. Never had any problems.

Rifle: 1 decent clean a year. Same principle a good spray of WD 40 in the barrel, overnight upside down ,brush , finished. Always been fine.

A friend,experienced rifle shooter, advises me to clean fast calibres ( 243/270/....) every time after shooting. So ?????
    Ask him what his rationale is.
    Despite buying a fancy cleaning rod especially for the rifle, I've cleaned my 204.....never.... and it's pretty fast.
    Shoots amazingly well despite the neglect.
    Nice rod though. Looks good hanging from it's peg.~Muir

i use carb spray as first clean before i start with new barrel cleans all the unwanted bits away and dry's then its down to running in,then i use KG after as my norm cleaning kit. petrol you must have money to burn lol,
    Last edited by paul o'; 27-09-2014 at 16:33.

Yes. Brake cleaner forms part of my cleaning regime. It is handy for washing out the cleaning solutions/oils before passing a dry patch through and then oiling if going into the cabinet for a while. Then when it comes out a patch of brake cleaner and then a dry patch.

If I'm taking my rifle out every now and then in the week then it won't get a proper clean until I know it will be in the cabinet for a week or two. Just checked for obstructions and kept dry. Either that or it will get a good clean after a range session. I don't like to leave it too long in case of surface rust though.

So long as you are not to aggressive with your cleaning method I can't see how it can do more harm than good. I use bore brushes minimally. I avoid nylon brushes preferring phosphor bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I avoid nylon brushes preferring phosphor bronze.
    Curious why you would avoid nylon brushes?

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Curious why you would avoid nylon brushes?

The theory goes, Nylon can be more abrasive than the bronze brushes which are a good option being a soft metal. I'm willing to stand corrected but only by someone with proven credentials !

I got a good deal on zippo hand warmer lighter fuel a while back so I use that to de-oil a barrel.
    Never used brake cleaner but lots seem to, is it any better than the zippo fuel would you say?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"