Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks

Shooting sticks

Evening chaps

After a good set of shooting stick

Any ideas

Cheers gaz

Not the cheapest but the best,you get what you pay for........

Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Also not cheap, but craftsman made and as stable a stick-based shooting platform as you will find: Products - Derek Clifford
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Unless you have money to spare on shooting fashion don't feel like you have to spend more than 10 on sticks. Plenty of threads on this forum about how to get set up with a set of green garden canes. You can also make quad sticks out of them if that is what you want.

I have been using garden canes or two lengths of hazel for years and have never once wished for anything more. Whatever you end up with, practice carrying, deploying and shooting from them as this is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by gaz6br View Post
    Evening chaps

After a good set of shooting stick

Any ideas

Cheers gaz
    read this thread, it'll be the only set of sticks you ever need!

Monkey Sticks !!

Got to be a set from limulus off of here, recently received a set and they are rock solid and extremely light.

I've been a shooting sticks enthusiast for about 15 years now & have been through many types. I prefer a wooden stocked rifle & I've found that a wooden stock on wooden sticks can cause problems. Some of the early dowel ones had a lot of 'spring', which together with the un-buffered wood-on-wood contact could throw the shot up to 3 inches high; clearly no use at all. The ground, if hard would cause the maximum variation & if the ground was soft the accuracy became just about acceptable.

As an experiment I commissioned Limulus to make me a wooden set with rubber or silicon wraps around the contact points to absorb some of the recoil which I finally got around to testing this week. I set up a target at 100 yards & took 3 separate shots, shouldering the rifle & collapsing the sticks each time & moving between a hard track, a grassy field & a tussocky marshy bit & here's the resulting target. This was the first time I'd used them so I'm sure the group will get tighter but still, not a bad starting point & WAY better than I've managed with any other sticks.

Attachment 47319

Whilst you could indeed make very steady sticks from garden canes etc. they won't compare for ease of carrying & weight & I like to walk.

I'd also say that one pair of sticks are unlikely to satisfy all of your requirements. I intend to use these Limulus Quadsticks for walking around quite open areas & I see them coming into their own on the 70 -150 yard shots.

When I stalk through woodland I take a pair of Knobloch sticks as they are quicker to deploy & most importantly, I can collapse them & attach them to my roe-sack, out of the way & keeping my hands free. They are also great for sitting or kneeling shots.

Anyway, that's what works for me,

J

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Not the cheapest but the best,you get what you pay for........

Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK
    fantastic sticks good choice.

Glendine.

+1 make your own from bean poles less than 15 , its all you need and the KISS sticks are far less to fuss with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Unless you have money to spare on shooting fashion don't feel like you have to spend more than 10 on sticks. Plenty of threads on this forum about how to get set up with a set of green garden canes. You can also make quad sticks out of them if that is what you want.

I have been using garden canes or two lengths of hazel for years and have never once wished for anything more. Whatever you end up with, practice carrying, deploying and shooting from them as this is the key!

I have a set of primos trigger sticks the new MK2 version and adore using them for all my shooting, air rifle / rimfire or stalking.