Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt sticking on un-fired chambered round

Bolt sticking on un-fired chambered round

Hi Chaps,

Firstly, i am not an expert in gun smithing or reloading so any answers/suggestions need to be easy for this numpty to understand!

I reload my own ammo using the basic lee classic (the one that uses the hammer) and have never had any problem with consistency or accuracy, i trim the case after use.
    But, my 30-06 it causing me a problem, i chamber a round, when i come to unload the bolt sticks and i can't get the round out, i have had to be really forceful on the bolt, or in the case of today i had to fire the round to extract it!
    This couldn't have come at a worst time as i am off to Montana in 3 weeks!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

How does it feel when chambering empty but fired brass?

Have you managed to extract a full round that seemed jammed? We're there any marks on the case or head?

Does the round chamber ok when closing the bolt? Any resistance at all?

I assume that the bolt operates ok without a round in the chamber.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Hi Richard,

How does it feel when chambering empty but fired brass?

Have you managed to extract a full round that seemed jammed? We're there any marks on the case or head?

Does the round chamber ok when closing the bolt? Any resistance at all?

I assume that the bolt operates ok without a round in the chamber.

Mac
    Hi Mac,
    I haven't tried chambering an empty case.
    I have extracted a round, a few scuff marks near the base of the cartridge but only faint.
    There is a little resistance for sure.
    Bolt works fine without a round in the chamber.
    Cheers
    Richard

I'm no expert but I've had similar issues.

if you are trimming cases then overall case length shouldn't be an issue. If it was too long up to the shoulder, then you would see some marks on the extracted case.

take a close look at your bolt face. Is there any muck, or build up of residue? I once had a tiny heather flower get into my bolt, it flattened like a cigarette paper but it was enough for the bolt to jam. If this is getting behind your trimmed round, then the AOL may be affected.

Are there any burnish marks on the base, concentric to the primer?

It sounds to me as though you are experiencing mechanical friction lock in the chamber, most likely on the web of the case just forward of the extractor groove.

Check your dies, as this is normally caused by the case not being sized correctly so allowing a bulge to remain in the web area which when the bolt is closed, seizes the chamber and makes extraction difficult....

This is most often caused when a neck sizing die is used.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    ....This couldn't have come at a worst time as i am off to Montana in 3 weeks!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Richard
    Richard. Buy some factory ammunition here and buy some more when you get to Montana. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Richard. Buy some factory ammunition here and buy some more when you get to Montana. Regards JCS
    Good advise . Have you checked the length on your resized brass , it can get sticky on some rifles if you don't trim your cases back . In the meantime I'd go with jcambellsmith's advise . Stick with factory until after your hunt and figure it out when you get back .

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy your self

AB

Richard how many times have you reloaded your cases?
    All cases will need full length resizing eventually so if you have only been neck sizing using the Lee load all you may need to consider if it's time for full length resizing?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Definitely sounds like cases need sizing. Either the shoulders need bumping back or they need a full length size.
    You should try a case you have prepared to load to see if it's tight. Also check that you have set your seating die correctly and not inadvertently pushing shoulders back.
    You could also try get hold of some other brass and load in your normal way. If no problem its down to your brass, if problem persists is down to your method.
    On the happier side what will you be hunting in Montana? An area of the world I'd love to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Has to be the number one fix, so close to going away.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!