Thread: Using nets in a low water channel

Using nets in a low water channel

Hi today had a walk along my local beach after a pic-nic.
    during low water approx three hours after high tide I seen two guys walking down to the channel at low water to check their net. They seemed to have two good size bags of fish.
    i no we mainly get flounders, occasional salmon lieing in the channels and mullet.

Is the legal or not....?

i dont think so as i got arrested and charged for doing the same thing ! having said that ,i was told you can get a license for setting fixed nets but dont no the ins and out of it ,that was 10 years ago, just stick to tredding nowadays !

Trouble is those who do it should no the quickest will be a 30 minute visit from the police that's if mobile signal is available.....

Phone in to the Environment Agency on 0800 807060, it may take a little time, but Salmon in a gill net is deffinatley illegal.

Gill netting in tidal waters is not illegal, neither is catching Salmon or Trout in a gill net set for other species. (illegal result of a legal activity.) Landing the caught Salmon or Seatrout, dead or not is illegal. That said there are licenses to allow the gill netting of these Salmonids.

Just to add more info. There is a distinction between drift nets, and anchor nets, anchor netting being illegal in some counties unless under licence. Also the mesh size would have to comply with the law and any non Salmonid species landed must not be below the minimum legal size limit, I.e. 36cm for Bass.

If someone were setting gill nets in inshore waters where the floatline was not more than 3m under the surface in a county where anchor nets are prohibited or was landing Salmonids (I don't know wether smelt apply here) or setting the nets from a powered vessel and then selling the fish without a licence they are probably breaking the law.

That's how I understand it.
    Just to add more info. There is a distinction between drift nets, and anchor nets, anchor netting being illegal in some counties unless under licence. Also the mesh size would have to comply with the law and any non Salmonid species landed must not be below the minimum legal size limit, I.e. 36cm for Bass.

If someone were setting gill nets in inshore waters where the floatline was not more than 3m under the surface in a county where anchor nets are prohibited or was landing Salmonids (I don't know wether smelt apply here) or setting the nets from a powered vessel and then selling the fish without a licence they are probably breaking the law.

That's how I understand it.
    Last edited by jubnut; 28-09-2014 at 08:27.

There are bound to be restrictions on the area for gill netting if Salmon are bieng caught, asJubnut says, landing the Salmon is a straight offence, but local EA or IFCA bye laws will apply, you can phone the EA, no need to give your name, they will look into it.

Or you could just walk on and mind your business, they could be acting legally and don,t need the grief.