Mice

CrawBogle

As I type this I'm sitting here listening to a mouse scratching around inside the walls of the house. We've never found any sign of mice inside and tonight is the first time I've heard the scratching so hopefully there is no damage to wiring yet. I need to kill it a.s.a.p. Was thinking I would remove a few plug sockets and put a bit of poison bait in between the walls. Can anyone recommend something that works?

yes they have started looking for winter lodgings with us also , get traps down make sure the only food scouce is on your traps,poison is a poor idea in a dwelling as they die in the fabric of the house a stink out the place

Cheers Bruce, will get some tomorrow and hopefully they will work. I don't much like the idea of using poisons anyway but read somewhere they are more effective. Good luck with getting rid of your lodgers too!

Hi Bruce

first job - outside and fill any holes larger than a pencil to deny access, also look at plants growing up the house, they will use this as a ladder, get some traps and use either sunflower or pumpkin or a similar seed as bait and place these in the loft, airing cupboard, under the sink where the services come in and if you have an attached garage the up and over door seal is a favourite entry point, if you have a large loft these areas will be there lay up point where it is warm and quiet, they will move down to get some food.

poison isn't the best way, as you don't know what you have , probably field but could be house mice as well.

for now proofing, then traps and ID the mice, they could be the annual grey mice an overspill from an adjoining house ?

good luck

let us know how you get on

cheers

phil

Last edited:
yes they have started looking for winter lodgings with us also , get traps down make sure the only food scouce is on your traps,poison is a poor idea in a dwelling as they die in the fabric of the house a stink out the place
i thought the usual mouse poison encouraged them to seek water outside of the house, where they go to die??

Had same problem 2 years ago they went up to the loft via the cavity wall, got a couple on traps & stick boards but in the end had to put poison down. To be honest they are so small and as the house should be dry as they die their de composure is more like drying out and there was no smell at all.
Good luck but act quickly as they multiply at an alarming rate
Wingy

We went down the 'catch & release' road with humane traps. Our tally has just passed 60 now & I'm thinking I'd better start tagging them to make sure that they're not getting back in....

If you use traps try butter or peanut butter as they can just pull seeds off the traps. They have to spend time to get butter off and much more chance of triggering the trap.

I melt a small piece of chocolate between my fingers and mould it onto the trap, irresistible to mice and they can't get it off. Andrew.

Nothing beats high velocity lead poisoning but your best bet is a combination of traps and poison. If you have no signs of droppings in the actual house then concentrate your efforts in the loft as the chances are, as has been said,they've made the roof via a hole at ground level or climbed up a climbing plant. Do not buy any poison that claims to be made from natural ingredients, rodents rarely eat it and when they do they don't die .I'm afraid it's a case of good old fashioned chemicals!

Hope its not rats they are a little harder to get rid of. Even if you poison them and they die in your property the stench is really bad, just hope you can find the dead ones if it is rats

A guy in my village shot a rat in his kitchen with a12g .

A friend of mine shot a rat while staggi'n on, in a sangar in Northern Ireland, with his sidearm, he is frightened to death of em' & still is to this day, we took him on a goose/duck breeding farm one night to shoot rats with .22LR's, he crapped it when he found out what we were there for!!!!!!!!:rofl::norty:

If its rats DO NOT POISON . My in laws neighbour had left a hole in the wall after putting heating in and they got under the floor of both houses . He put poison down and we had to lift floors in 3 rooms to remove the decomposing rats

If using poison then don't bloke up any holes yet. The poison should make them thirsty and they should head outside fir water. I would say 90 % of the domestic mouse jobs I do are controlled by baiting the loft. Even if there is evidence of them in the kitchen etc its normally the bait in the loft that goes first. I would personally avoid poison called alphachloralose. Green type paste in semi see through boxes. We find when customers have used it the mice die inside.
Down lighters may be easier to bait than removing sockets if you have any. Whole grain baits seems to work best for us. Put several trays of bait in the loft as mice like to run from one to the other.
If you do trap and why not then I would also suggest peanut butter.

Back